Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window goes up, then down a bit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2021 Model Y. For a few weeks now, I have an odd behavior. Driver's window is down. I click the button to close it. The window goes all the way up, and then it goes back down a few inches. It's as if the window senses resistance or a minor obstruction and backs away from full closure. If, however, I advance the window up a few inches at a time with repeated short uses of the window button, the window goes up, seals, and stays up. This is intermittant. Sometimes I have no problem rolling up the window fully from open position with a single window button use, sometimes I have to inch the window up a little at a time to get it to stay up.

Anyone had this behavior? I have found nothing in these forums.

-- Josh

I had something similar, when rolling up and the car it a bump it would trigger the pinch sensor in the window and it would start rolling back down. Put in a service request and a mobile tech came out and realigned my doors. Has only happened 1 time since they fixed it 6 months ago.

Hello,

I have a 2021 Model Y. For a few weeks now, I have an odd behavior. Driver's window is down. I click the button to close it. The window goes all the way up, and then it goes back down a few inches. It's as if the window senses resistance or a minor obstruction and backs away from full closure. If, however, I advance the window up a few inches at a time with repeated short uses of the window button, the window goes up, seals, and stays up. This is intermittant. Sometimes I have no problem rolling up the window fully from open position with a single window button use, sometimes I have to inch the window up a little at a time to get it to stay up.

Anyone had this behavior? I have found nothing in these forums.

-- Josh

Try calibrating the window. That fixed it for me. I think all you have to do is run the window down to the bottom and then back to the top, but there may be some timing involved. The details are in the owner's manual.

I believe calibration will fix it, as was stated. I just want to add that there is a situation where this is by design: if outside temperature is freezing or under, the windows will go up completely and then come back down a little. This is to prevent cases where the window would scrape the trim when you open the door because it would have frozen to the seal. You know, typically the window goes down a bit when you open the door... that sometimes doesn't work in freezing conditions.

I've been having this issue recently on 2 windows. The rear driver side window would not go up unless I quickly tapped the button to slowly progress it up until fully closed. The service center looked at it and said the regulator was bad and needed to be replaced. I'm out of warranty but had my S in for another issue so they took care of it under my extended warranty. Then a week and a half later, this same thing is now happening on the rear passenger side door. They scheduled a mobile appt for me to fix it but that was back on 7/13 and they now tell me the parts are out of stock. So its been a month with me not being able to use the window for fear that it may get stuck in the down position.

I can't seem to find the instructions to re-calibrate the windows. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I usually drive with my windows up and ac on, but decided to roll windows down and drive today. When I rolled windows up, driver side kept going up halfway and rolling back down. Tried this about 40 times and about 30 times out of 40, the driver side window rolled up halfway and opened all the way. I tried again and it will roll halfway and open again, then the 3rd time it will roll up all the way. I am starting to think I got a bad rushed production car. I have a lot of other issues with my car.

I'm going to try the window reset. Keep you guys looped tomorrow.

I think that when windows go back down completely, it's because they encountered significant resistance. That's the typical mechanism that prevents crushed fingers and arms. Maybe your window is misaligned and brushes too hard on the trim. You could try lubricating the seal with silicone, it's recommended anyway.

My 12V battery died two days ago and since then my driver door window goes up and bounces back down a few inches as described above. I tried this calibration process multiple times and in multiple ways and hasn't fixed it. Are there any other hacks or things I can try? I have Tesla service scheduled but earliest was 2 weeks away. I'm worried I'm going to break my glass because when I do force the window all the way closed it doesn't shift down when open door button is pressed?

Thanks

My 12V battery died two days ago and since then my driver door window goes up and bounces back down a few inches as described above. I tried this calibration process multiple times and in multiple ways and hasn't fixed it. Are there any other hacks or things I can try? I have Tesla service scheduled but earliest was 2 weeks away. I'm worried I'm going to break my glass because when I do force the window all the way closed it doesn't shift down when open door button is pressed?

Thanks
I had the service guy over today, and he had never heard of the issue while the car was moving. He had heard of it in Model 3, for instance, but it would happen even when the car is standing still. In my Model Y, it's only when driving over (even relatively small) bumps in the road. He tried some rubber chicken fixes, but doesn't think this will help.

I’ve recently had this happen twice where my drivers side window is open all the way and when I try to close it it goes up an inch and goes back down. When I close it the second time it works normal. Maybe a calibration won’t hurt.

I had Tesla come and replace the motor for driver side window. After a few weeks, both driver side and passenger side occasionally rolls up then comes back down. It seems like it does that when the weather is cold or sometimes when I go over bumpy roads. Does this make sense to anyone? Is Tesla able to fix this?

As I posted higher up, windows will go completely up and then back down a bit when the weather is cold. That is in case the window freezes to the rubber and cannot go down fast enough when you try to open a door as that would scratch the door trims. That is working as designed, although the target temperature for the feature to activate has changed over time. If the windows go down over bumps, that is a problem.

As I posted higher up, windows will go completely up and then back down a bit when the weather is cold. That is in case the window freezes to the rubber and cannot go down fast enough when you try to open a door as that would scratch the door trims. That is working as designed, although the target temperature for the feature to activate has changed over time. If the windows go down over bumps, that is a problem.
I live in So Cal and cold weather means 50s to 60s. You still think it's due to that safety feature in my area? Or does the car know to do that when it is colder to extremes?