TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Window IR coating process

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kevincwelch, Apr 10, 2014.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Does anyone know how the IR "coating" is worked into the glass of the MS? Is this something that is coated on the exterior of the windshield, interior or something that is worked into the glass as part of the manufacturing process?

Just wondering about using glass polishes and avoiding possible disruption/removal of the IR "coating."

2. caddieo

caddieo Member

Frankly, I would like to "disrupt" the coating in a 4"x4" area of my choosing so I can have a more effective use of my gate transponder.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

This is part of the plastic film / lamination process of safety glass. You won't have to worry about touching anything but glass.

The UV/IR coating is placed between two pieces of glass. This film also make the glass 'safety glass'.

Laminated glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

As would I!

All I needed to know. Thx.

5. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

There's a matrix area to the right of the mirror, if you're in driver seat looking out, that doesn't have the coating. I think...it doesn't have a purplish hue like the rest of windshield.

Give that a try.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Hopefully they are doing that now. Early on some people were having success with that area and others were not but worth trying. Good point.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Moe is correct in that you can see the IR film. It has purple iridescence to it in bright direct sunlight.

My original windshield did not have ANY gap in the 'checkered area' just to the right of the mirror. I was able to put my Peach Pass on the very top edge of my windshield to get around the IR coating. My new windshield has a hole in the IR coating in the 'checkered area'.

But it breaks down to the fact that you can see the IR film. So just look. From the outside of the car an the edges in direct sunlight it will present itself to you.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Good to know. I seem to be one of the few early cars that hasn't had the windshield crack yet so haven't gotten it replaced yet.