Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Issues going up and down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just noticed this yesterday (car is 4 months old), passenger window and rear passenger window sometimes dont close correctly after opening. when you try to roll the windows up they go and then come down on their own. you have to fiddle with this nonsense for 5 minutes before it finally decides to roll up. anyone else have this problem?

The grinding noise when coming to a stop is likely corrosion on the rotors. With regen they don't get used much and especially if they get wet, they build up a layer of gunk. A couple of quicker/harder stops will clean them if that is the problem.

I have this problem and it seems to be made worse when it's cold. When I had service look at it on my annual in July, they were unable to reproduce, so it wasn't fixed. I haven't experienced it for a while, even during the warmer months when I would regularly open windows, until this morning. As I was pulling out of the garage with the temperature around 30F, I noticed some cat hair on me and opened the window to toss it out. When I tried rolling the window back up, it would reverse at about half way up. I tried 5 or so times before grabbing it and helping it past that trouble point. It is no doubt caused by an overly sensitive safety reverse and some kind of internal resistance. I'm planning to schedule service maybe in January to take care of this, a sunroof issue that they've tried to fix three times already, tire rotation, and the recall.

Also, one time I was washing the car and while drying noticed that the interior in the back seat was wet. Apparently when I opened the rear passenger door earlier the window dropped down a crack like it's supposed to do but never closed completely when I shut it. It was stuck in that position but I was able to shut it with the interior window control. It never happened again but beware of this. It's also on my list along with water leakage in both rear tail lights.

Robotic window

just noticed this yesterday (car is 4 months old), passenger window and rear passenger window sometimes dont close correctly after opening. when you try to roll the windows up they go and then come down on their own. you have to fiddle with this nonsense for 5 minutes before it finally decides to roll up. anyone else have this problem?

The following happen today.

Model S is 1year old.

Got in car drove about one block and noticed rear driver side window was down. Raised window, after a couple of miles the window goes down. After raising window again drove a few miles and it lowered again. Raised window again. Reached my destination and noticed window was not completely closed. Could not close with driver's button. Opened door and closed door. Window closed correctly.

I just had a similar problem fixed with my rear driver side window - intermittently (very hard to reproduce) after closing the rear door, I would notice that the window would not roll back up all the way. This is the solution that was on my repair ticket:

Found rubber backing on door handle had come loose causing window to jam and not go up all the way. Resinstalled rubber backing properly and verified vehicle is operating as designed.

I had funny window issue the other day - walked around to my passenger side, opened the door to get something out (the window dropped a half inch or so normally) closed the door, and the window didn't reseal itself. It stayed down a half inch or so. So I opened the door and closed it again, and the window moved down another half inch. Repeated this a few more times and each time the window just moved down further and further. So I closed the door, went around do the driver side, started the car and then had to roll the window up with the driver side window controls. Thankfully that worked.

Glad I noticed this, because it just so happened to dump rain that afternoon!

Anyone else experience this? I have not noticed it since.

I had funny window issue the other day - walked around to my passenger side, opened the door to get something out (the window dropped a half inch or so normally) closed the door, and the window didn't reseal itself. It stayed down a half inch or so. So I opened the door and closed it again, and the window moved down another half inch. Repeated this a few more times and each time the window just moved down further and further. So I closed the door, went around do the driver side, started the car and then had to roll the window up with the driver side window controls. Thankfully that worked.

Glad I noticed this, because it just so happened to dump rain that afternoon!

Anyone else experience this? I have not noticed it since.

Exact same thing. When I brought it in they couldn't reproduce it and neither could I. Thankfully it hasn't happened again but they told me if it did to 1) log date and time and call them 2) video it with my phone if I can reproduce.

I just had a similar problem fixed with my rear driver side window - intermittently (very hard to reproduce) after closing the rear door, I would notice that the window would not roll back up all the way. This is the solution that was on my repair ticket:

Found rubber backing on door handle had come loose causing window to jam and not go up all the way. Resinstalled rubber backing properly and verified vehicle is operating as designed.

I also had a similar issue. My window would roll part way up, then reverse and go back down. I would have to fiddle around with it to get it closed. I don't think my repair invoice was as verbose, but they told me that something had broken on the interior side of the door handle and it was interfering with the window mechanism.

I also had a similar issue. My window would roll part way up, then reverse and go back down. I would have to fiddle around with it to get it closed. I don't think my repair invoice was as verbose, but they told me that something had broken on the interior side of the door handle and it was interfering with the window mechanism.

Funny, I remembered your post when I was at the SvC last month and had them check to see if that was what causing my issue. It wasn't but there's a lot of value in the sharing of information we do here, A LOT!

Per service center:

"You can try to recalibrate the window to see if it corrects your issue in the meantime. You do this by rolling the window down and holding the switch in the down position for at least 10 seconds. Then rolling up the window and continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 10 seconds."

Worth a shot I figure.

I'm having the same/similar issue. it's also cold here.

I had the same issue and same note around what was wrong a few months back.

Tesla found my post earlier in this thread and called me to schedule service to fix it last month. They replaced the regulator and so far it has been good with the few times I rolled my driver window. They also finally fixed my sunroof which started having problems opening after last winter and wasn't entirely fixed for 3 previous service attempts.

Tesla found my post earlier in this thread and called me to schedule service to fix it last month. They replaced the regulator and so far it has been good with the few times I rolled my driver window. They also finally fixed my sunroof which started having problems opening after last winter and wasn't entirely fixed for 3 previous service attempts.

Did they tell you they called because they saw your post or are you assuming?