Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window not fully closed alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To reset the window's calibration try this...

1. make sure the window is clean from any debris
2. roll the window all the way down
3. hold the down button for 10 secs
4. roll the window all the way up
5. hold the up button for 10 secs
6. (optional if needed) roll the window all the way down and hold 10 secs

This should help reset the regulator. It fixed mine. :)

• Informative
Reactions: doc5339 and David29
Oddly, today (August 31) my car (2015 Model S, AP1) is getting alerts that the sunroof is not closed (although it is) but the phone app says it has not updated since August 25 and does not show the current software version that was installed last night (which I assume is 2020.32.3, since that is what looks to be next for AP1 cars from the firmware tracking log) -- I am too lazy to walk out to my car, which is some distance from my condo, to double-check right now. So there is enough connectivity to send me annoying/incorrect alerts, but not enough to tell the phone the other details of the car's status, including the current software version. (And yes, my MCU memory has been replaced.)

I have now gotten update 2020.36.3.1 and no longer seem to be getting the bogus alerts. Whether or not it was resolved by the newer update or just "went away," I am not sure.

Which model does this apply for?

bktiger86: I had rec'd one or more windows open errors and tried the reset you cited..It must have worked, no more window open messages. Thank you very much.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
@bktiger86, @GeorgeSymonds,

Thanks for the procedure on window calibration. The issue on my car seem to have been resolved... at least for now.

I also have received a couple of notices about the sunroof being open a couple of weeks ago. Checking the sunroof confirmed that it was fully closed. Since the roof is electronically/software controlled, I wonder if fully opening and closing would solve the issue... when/if it happens again.

Reactions: doc5339
Today, about 20 minutes after exiting MY, I received an alert that my passenger window was open. Went outside to check it and it was indeed open, but apparently had just opened because it was cool and rainy and very little rain had come into the car. Anyone have experience with windows opening themselves (perhaps a glitch in the “vent” control)?

Am I rolling the window down on auto or using the button to manually roll it down and up all the way? also I let go of the button after it is down and then press down for 10 Sec or continue to press the button down while it is going down and keep it pressed fir 10 extra seconds?

On late 2016 Model S, after the latest update, 2020.32.2, I keep getting window not fully closed alerts on my phone even though window is closed.

I went back in car to make sure, windows were closed. Alerts are from different windows too, it’s not the same every time.

anyone else with this issue?
I had this issue and tried the window reset on the window that had the notification. No luck. I performed the master reset "holding both steering wheel buttons" no luck but when I did the window reset to all four windows the notification went away.. hope that helps someone

I also get this occasionally now, but a quick recalibration (open, hold a few seconds, close, hold a few seconds) takes care of it each time.

In fact, it is sufficiently reliable and manageable that it is actually a useful message for those times when the window or sunroof actually ARE open!