Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window not staying down when door open

Twurzel

Aug 1, 2020
Salisbury, UK
The rear driver's side door on my M3 LR has developed a fault whereby when you open the door, internal button or external handle, the window drops to allow opening but then goes back up again when the button or handle is released. This means that when you go to close the door the window is all the way up and strikes the chrome (on mine) surround. I have to manually lower the window before closing that door. Only noticed yesterday and of course the passenger didn't realise so now the chrome is scratched but at least the window didn't break. Don't know if it's a bug with the latest software (I'm on 2021.12.25.7) or a faulty door sensor. Service appointment is booked but worth checking your doors just in case it's a wider problem and before anyone tries to close the door with the window up!

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Have you tried to calibrate the windows?

Also have you checked the puddle lights on that door are connected properly?

I note that this bizarre post was in relation to a Model X in 2016 ... is this a joke? Window calibration routine is in the manual.

s88ats

Jul 12, 2020
London
I note that this bizarre post was in relation to a Model X in 2016 ... is this a joke? Window calibration routine is in the manual.
Oh dear. I did a quick search and didn't validate or read it by the looks of it. Requested to delete my original post - thanks (April fools :rolleyes:)

Calibrating Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
  • Close the door with the affected window.
  • Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to lower the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Also might want to check the puddle light in the door not behaving properly to ensure it is still connected.

Reactions: Twurzel

dbtor

Jun 7, 2021
UK
This happened on my friends 2021 M3 LR. His wife closed the passenger door after the window went up, even though the door was still open.

This was the result:

Apparently the service centre had never heard of the issue, but it is being repaired under warranty.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
I have tried the calibration but that made no difference, haven't looked at the puddle light, I'll do that this evening.
Did you try the calibration with the window half way down first? As it's to rectify unexpected behaviour I'd start it somewhere random in between fully up and down.

Twurzel

Aug 1, 2020
Salisbury, UK
Did you try the calibration with the window half way down first? As it's to rectify unexpected behaviour I'd start it somewhere random in between fully up and down.
Yep, done that. Just had the service center ask me to send a video in so they maybe scratching their heads as well.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Yep, done that. Just had the service center ask me to send a video in so they maybe scratching their heads as well.

Better they scratch their heads than you scratch your window trim ... ho ho ho ! (This is an issue that I have seen come up on the forum from time to time ... it's certainly not unknown.)

Twurzel

Aug 1, 2020
Salisbury, UK
Tesla ranger came out today. Issue was with a blown puddle light. He replaced it, replace the silver trim that was scratched and all is now working properly. Seems an odd design to have the puddle light involved with sensing if the door is closed but its good as new again now so I'm happy.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Tesla ranger came out today. Issue was with a blown puddle light. He replaced it, replace the silver trim that was scratched and all is now working properly. Seems an odd design to have the puddle light involved with sensing if the door is closed but its good as new again now so I'm happy.

What a totally bizarre interconnection! Very handy to have this flagged up though because it could be an easy home fix for those of us who swapped out the dim originals but still have them in a bag ready to re-use. (So Tesla LED puddle lights are not only dim but short lived ... I hope they are going to change their supplier.)

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
What a totally bizarre interconnection! Very handy to have this flagged up though because it could be an easy home fix for those of us who swapped out the dim originals but still have them in a bag ready to re-use. (So Tesla LED puddle lights are not only dim but short lived ... I hope they are going to change their supplier.)
Agreed. I have a few spares after upgrading boot and footwell lights. Useful to know.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC