Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window not staying down when door open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear driver's side door on my M3 LR has developed a fault whereby when you open the door, internal button or external handle, the window drops to allow opening but then goes back up again when the button or handle is released. This means that when you go to close the door the window is all the way up and strikes the chrome (on mine) surround. I have to manually lower the window before closing that door. Only noticed yesterday and of course the passenger didn't realise so now the chrome is scratched but at least the window didn't break. Don't know if it's a bug with the latest software (I'm on 2021.12.25.7) or a faulty door sensor. Service appointment is booked but worth checking your doors just in case it's a wider problem and before anyone tries to close the door with the window up!

I note that this bizarre post was in relation to a Model X in 2016 ... is this a joke? Window calibration routine is in the manual.
Oh dear. I did a quick search and didn't validate or read it by the looks of it. Requested to delete my original post - thanks (April fools :rolleyes:)

Calibrating Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
  • Close the door with the affected window.
  • Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to lower the affected window until it stalls.
  • Use the driver window switch to raise the affected window until it stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Also might want to check the puddle light in the door not behaving properly to ensure it is still connected.

Reactions: Twurzel
Tesla ranger came out today. Issue was with a blown puddle light. He replaced it, replace the silver trim that was scratched and all is now working properly. Seems an odd design to have the puddle light involved with sensing if the door is closed but its good as new again now so I'm happy.

What a totally bizarre interconnection! Very handy to have this flagged up though because it could be an easy home fix for those of us who swapped out the dim originals but still have them in a bag ready to re-use. (So Tesla LED puddle lights are not only dim but short lived ... I hope they are going to change their supplier.)

What a totally bizarre interconnection! Very handy to have this flagged up though because it could be an easy home fix for those of us who swapped out the dim originals but still have them in a bag ready to re-use. (So Tesla LED puddle lights are not only dim but short lived ... I hope they are going to change their supplier.)
Agreed. I have a few spares after upgrading boot and footwell lights. Useful to know.

Tesla ranger came out today. Issue was with a blown puddle light. He replaced it, replace the silver trim that was scratched and all is now working properly. Seems an odd design to have the puddle light involved with sensing if the door is closed but its good as new again now so I'm happy.
This just happened to me today, right rear window & chrome scratched. Just scheduled service, hopefully mobile. And yes the puddle light is out, but too late now.
Thanks for this post.
Joe