Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window opens when Wet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into an issue and I wanted to share.

When I washed my car at home, I noticed that the window behind the driver was in the "door open" position. I thought, how could I have left it open. I tried to close it and it would not close. Also noticed the car thought the door was open. I finished washing and moved into the garage. I tried everything I could think of but the window would close.

I opened a service request in the app. While I was putting away the car wash stuff, I noticed the window closing and opening in rapid succession. Once closed I tried the window recalibration, that seemed to fix the issue. A day later Tesla contacted me and stated there was a known bug that caused the door to appear open when the window was not calibrated. I replied ok, but I still had concerns, since when the door is open the car will not lock nor power down.

Service scheduled for 10/13. I washed the car 10/12 and sure enough the windows opened again. Updated the service appointment with the details. The tech arrived and asked me to hose down the window.. After 1 minute the window opened. He started taking the door apart. Turns out he found a similar issue in their DB. The harness which passes through the B pillar was not installed correctly and allowed water to leak into a connector. That lead to the odd behavior. There was already corrosion in the connector(1,800 miles, dry in Denver except car washes!), so he ordered parts and they will replace them 2Nov.

Hope this helps anyone who may experience the same issue.

Glad they found the issue.

What is the window calibration procedure?
glad that the issue was found and will be fixed, but even more glad the issue was published here. i ran the car through a touch-less (high pressure) wash soon after taking delivery and noticed a problem with both rear windows going down to door opening level. did not connect the wash and the windows until the post above.
and yes
what is the window calibration procedure, please?

I ran into an issue and I wanted to share.

When I washed my car at home, I noticed that the window behind the driver was in the "door open" position. I thought, how could I have left it open. I tried to close it and it would not close. Also noticed the car thought the door was open. I finished washing and moved into the garage. I tried everything I could think of but the window would close.

I opened a service request in the app. While I was putting away the car wash stuff, I noticed the window closing and opening in rapid succession. Once closed I tried the window recalibration, that seemed to fix the issue. A day later Tesla contacted me and stated there was a known bug that caused the door to appear open when the window was not calibrated. I replied ok, but I still had concerns, since when the door is open the car will not lock nor power down.

Service scheduled for 10/13. I washed the car 10/12 and sure enough the windows opened again. Updated the service appointment with the details. The tech arrived and asked me to hose down the window.. After 1 minute the window opened. He started taking the door apart. Turns out he found a similar issue in their DB. The harness which passes through the B pillar was not installed correctly and allowed water to leak into a connector. That lead to the odd behavior. There was already corrosion in the connector(1,800 miles, dry in Denver except car washes!), so he ordered parts and they will replace them 2Nov.

Hope this helps anyone who may experience the same issue.
i
i had same problem, tesla said there was service bulitin and replaced wiring harness

Hey all, can you give your VIN range or link to the SB please? Ours is < 10k and a couple of times, in rain, we’ve come back to open passenger side window.

Never happened on 3, so just put it down to hitting window switch on drivers side on exit and not noticing... will try the hose pipe.

Thanks for your post. I had the same exact issue and the Tesla service dept told me they couldn’t find anything wrong after having it for 5 days. I sent them your post and told them to look again. Apparently, the third technician to look at the car found the harness wasn’t installed correctly on the 6th day and fixed it. Kind of sad that I had to do all the research to find the issue on my own. But thankfully you at least made that possible.

Thanks for your post. I had the same exact issue and the Tesla service dept told me they couldn’t find anything wrong after having it for 5 days. I sent them your post and told them to look again. Apparently, the third technician to look at the car found the harness wasn’t installed correctly on the 6th day and fixed it. Kind of sad that I had to do all the research to find the issue on my own. But thankfully you at least made that possible.

I'm glad they found your problem.
Over the years, I have "trained" a ton of techs and parts counter guys, all makes of autos. There's SO MUCH TECH involved, it's difficult for them to keep up. It's not an excuse, but a reality. Tesla has ramped up so rapidly that they're just not able to keep up. How can a tech have any real experience when the technology is so new? In addition, there are continual "running changes" in production that simply change things around.

At one point, my servicing tech at a reputable VAG dealership was calling ME for advice about the infamous "clean diesel." The diesel owners on the TDIClub site knew a LOT more than most dealer techs.

Reactions: kmcgoey
I'm glad they found your problem.
Over the years, I have "trained" a ton of techs and parts counter guys, all makes of autos. There's SO MUCH TECH involved, it's difficult for them to keep up. It's not an excuse, but a reality. Tesla has ramped up so rapidly that they're just not able to keep up. How can a tech have any real experience when the technology is so new? In addition, there are continual "running changes" in production that simply change things around.

At one point, my servicing tech at a reputable VAG dealership was calling ME for advice about the infamous "clean diesel." The diesel owners on the TDIClub site knew a LOT more than most dealer techs.
They should search this site! lol. The other issue is they didn't even read your post when I sent it to them. I made them read it when I showed up in person to pick up the car after they told me there was nothing wrong. Not being able to get someone in service on the phone is pretty annoying.

Went thru a local car wash that had high pressure drying jets. 1st time I received an alert that the left read door was open, and the window had dropped wo water was streaming in. Got out and the door wasn't open, just the window was. Thought I'd lost my mind as I always check windows. Second time through I had discovered the 'car wash mode' but it happened again...and I thought it was in the exact same area of the wash system. Each time I had the window going up/down trying to do something....maybe calibrate? Read up and the only thing I saw that seemed likely was water lead OR 'high pressure' comment. So I went through the car wash again, but this time I taped the left read door handle so it wouldn't go in or out...and it worked! So it may be a leak and wiring not installed correctly, or it may be that the door handle spring isn't strong enough. I have a subscription and service isn't for another 10 days...so at least I have a work around for now. I printed out the note about the B pillar for the service tech. Oh...window re-calibrate...what a pain...and it still isn't working correctly as the window doesn't drop when the door opens...can't be good for the seal. It took many tries just to get the window to stay up all the way. For a couple tries, it would go up then drop down...and for three times it went a bit lower. Little short up lifts on the switch got it to finally go up all the way, but it won't calibrate. Maybe a clue for the technician. So for now, I have three working doors as I don't want to damage the seal and it takes time to get the window closed all the way up.