Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this this morning. After a new passenger exited the car by the emergency handle, a notice popped up on the display informing me of the 'violation.' Now, I don't know if it's my imagination or it has always been this way .... but .... Now when you shut the front doors, the windows will roll all the way up and then come down about 1/8 inch. You can manually roll them up that extra 1/8 inch to be tight against the top trim and rubber, and they will stay that way until you exit the car. Then when you shut the door again, it reverts back to rolling all the way up - and retracting that 1/8 inch down again. Back window DO roll up tight and stay in the full closed position. I tried the brake wheel control reset thing and then did the window re-calibration thing but with no luck. Am I alone with this situation, or is this normal. I haven't noticed this behavior before today. BTW I do have the double pane glass in the front.

In cold temperatures the Tesla Model Y can slightly lower the windows to help prevent the window from freezing to the door seal. Otherwise, try re-calibrating the power window actuator. With all doors closed, from the driver's window control pad, press the window button down to lower the window and hold for 15 seconds. Raise the window all the way up and hold the window button for 15 seconds. This should re-calibrate the window actuator.

• Informative
Reactions: BrianBigNFun
In cold temperatures the Tesla Model Y can slightly lower the windows to help prevent the window from freezing to the door seal. Otherwise, try re-calibrating the power window actuator. With all doors closed, from the driver's window control pad, press the window button down to lower the window and hold for 15 seconds. Raise the window all the way up and hold the window button for 15 seconds. This should re-calibrate the window actuator.
Tried the calibration thing. They still roll down on their own. Maybe they've been like that from the beginning, and I didn't notice!?

Well, I just went out to the car now and tried the windows again. Wouldn’t you know it, they rolled up just like they should and stayed there. Maybe a car got mad that my passenger opened the door the wrong way this morning. Oh well, I guess it cured itself! I guess it will just remain a mystery to me for now.

The daytime temperature is high enough, the Tesla may also be parked in the sun. The Tesla will only lower the windows when the temperature drops below freezing. (Not sure if all 4 windows behave this way or only the front windows.)

You never told us what the ambient temperature was during the issue.
andaconda: Excellent report on good service. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to TMC, lots of good information here. FYI: You didn't install a "wall charger." You installed an EVSE (electric vehicle service equipment). The charger is built into every EV, the EVSE simply controls power from your house to the car.

Would someone would check their front windows to see if they exhibit the same behavior? If it matters, the outside temp is about 40 degrees F.
40 degrees F

The daytime temperature is high enough, the Tesla may also be parked in the sun. The Tesla will only lower the windows when the temperature drops below freezing. (Not sure if all 4 windows behave this way or only the front windows.)
I recall several times this winter (TX winter!) that the windows would do this when the temps were in the 30s, f, not necessarily below freezing.

Well, this is definitely a temperature related event. Went to use the car this morning, and the windows were fully rolled up. Next time I exited car the windows rolled back down 1/8 of an inch. So I guess when it’s warm the windows will roll all the way up and when it’s colder they will roll down that 8th inch. Now I just have to figure out where that temperature differential is. Funny I haven’t noticed this earlier. I do believe it must be related to this recent update that I did a few days ago. Because I did not notice it before last week.

Well, this is definitely a temperature related event. Went to use the car this morning, and the windows were fully rolled up. Next time I exited car the windows rolled back down 1/8 of an inch. So I guess when it’s warm the windows will roll all the way up and when it’s colder they will roll down that 8th inch. Now I just have to figure out where that temperature differential is. Funny I haven’t noticed this earlier. I do believe it must be related to this recent update that I did a few days ago. Because I did not notice it before last week.
Just curious; do all 4 windows automatically lower 1/8" when the temperature drops or only the driver and front passenger windows?

Maybe Tesla planned that if you were be able to open the front doors you would be able to turn on the maximum defroster from the touch screen if you did not have your phone to precondition the Tesla vehicle.
You're guess is as good as mine.... I tried to roll them up a few min. ago -- no luck -- 42 F. ambient temp. Hey, now that I understand what's happening, I'm cool with it! Tesla engineers are a lot "smarter that a fifth grader." Or so the TV program would have you believe.

Unfortunately that does not fully address the issue with the windows freezing in place in sub zero weather when it has been raining, sleeting etc. The gasket at the top of the door where the window retracts into the door holds water (for several days) when wet. When this gasket freezes the window may not lower when opening the door. This is easy to observe if you've ever lowered the driver's window the day after it has rained or after you have washed the vehicle. The window immediately shows streaks of water on the outside of the glass as you close the window.