Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window problem

Srad600Volt

Sep 28, 2020
Southern California
These windows do funny things sometimes. Last week I left my car overnight (in the garage) with the drivers window halfway down. Got in the car the next day with the family, and the window that was left open refused to roll up. If I manually rolled it up (held the Up button until the window got to the top) it would just roll itself down about 6 inches. If I tried the auto up (pull fully up on the switch and let go), it would roll up and then back down again. I tried the "window reset" and after the second try, the window just completely stopped responding (it was open and just would not move). After about 20 minutes of driving, the window began to respond to the switch again and went completely back to normal??? My kids thought it was hilarious, my wife now REALLY hates this car and I'm now worried to leave the thing anywhere for more than a few minutes at a time. Seems the car get's confused if you park it with the windows down...It's interesting to me the things that go wrong with this car sometimes.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
These windows do funny things sometimes. Last week I left my car overnight (in the garage) with the drivers window halfway down. Got in the car the next day with the family, and the window that was left open refused to roll up. If I manually rolled it up (held the Up button until the window got to the top) it would just roll itself down about 6 inches. If I tried the auto up (pull fully up on the switch and let go), it would roll up and then back down again. I tried the "window reset" and after the second try, the window just completely stopped responding (it was open and just would not move). After about 20 minutes of driving, the window began to respond to the switch again and went completely back to normal??? My kids thought it was hilarious, my wife now REALLY hates this car and I'm now worried to leave the thing anywhere for more than a few minutes at a time. Seems the car get's confused if you park it with the windows down...It's interesting to me the things that go wrong with this car sometimes.
Great story. I have a similar one, not with the windows, but the electric steering column motor (in/out, up/down). Mine was making noise when operated, like an electric motor vibrating against something. While evaluating it, the tech operated the motor via the steering wheel buttons, repeatedly going in/out, up/down, listening, trying to locate the problem.

After several seconds of this, the motor stopped functioning. "OH, GREAT!!!" sez I, "I bring my car to you and you, BREAK IT!" (I was joking, the tech knew that.)

With a sigh, she said, "These Teslas are temperamental. They're like training a very smart dog. If you ask it to do the same thing, over and over, it will stubbornly stop responding." She actually wasn't joking.

"How long until it functions again?" "15-20 minutes." Her theory was that it's some sort of built-in thermal protection, to keep the motor(s) from burning out.

Yup. 20 minutes later, steering column motor returned to normal function.

Reactions: andaconda

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC