Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window regulator replace difficulty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there’s a sound coming from my window regulator that I think might require replacing the regulator. How difficult is this process?

I’d like to avoid a situation where the SC ends up causing more issues in replacing the regulator such as rattles and broken clips. I’ve had that occur when they’ve detached and reattached the door panels before. Just wondering if it’s worth going through the trouble of replacing it if it’ll create collateral issues.

If I thought my window regulator was starting to go out, I would have Tesla take a look at it. I've seen some YouTube videos showing the inner door panel being easily removed with the proper tools.

Haven't experienced it with my Model 3, but with my NSX a dead window regulator prevented the power window from opening.

The regulator appears to require more screws and wiring to be removed once the door panel has been removed?

Based on my NSX experience, I would agree with you. Removing and replacing a window regulator can take a while if you've never done it before. I would hope the service techs at Tesla have been properly trained though.....

No experience with the Model 3 window regulator though ........ be aware that if the window regulator fails, you may not be able to properly open or close your window.

Reactions: robertwft
Based on my NSX experience, I would agree with you. Removing and replacing a window regulator can take a while if you've never done it before. I would hope the service techs at Tesla have been properly trained though.....

Watched the Tesla Ranger do this swap in the parking lot at work. He did it in about 45 minutes, due to good experience. I easily could see it being 2-3 hours for someone new at it. The inner door panel comes off, the the speaker housing and speaker, plus some other wiring comes off. After some more seals, the glass comes out, you get to fiddle with the mechanical door latch, the the regulator and associated cables come off. After replacing the regulator and glass, the tech had a special calibration tool (different from just pressing and holding the buttons as is shown in YouTube). Everything else has to be fit back together, including a couple of very concealed fasteners.

If I were you, I'd set a service appointment, then see if they can dispatch a Ranger to do the job.

Reactions: cwerdna
I appreciate the desire to do something yourself and definitely understand the fear of SC causing more harm during the repair, but i REALLY think it would be wise to have them check this out (even if you are an ASE master tech, it's simply a new car to you).

The car is fairly new and under warranty and without any previous experience working on them i would imagine its actually more likely for some "collateral damage" to occur. I personally haven't seen anyone talk about or document replacing this part on a Model 3 (yet) so i don't know if you will find much info out there.

I've snapped off so many silly little tabs and things on other items when trying to fix something on my own just because i didn't know what it looked like from the inside/had never taken it apart before. Can really make a simple job much more complex/risky and unfortunately Tesla doesn't like sharing their service manuals to help you out.

Reactions: rpiotro and cwerdna
I had a grinding sound from right front window which then progressed to window getting stuck third of way down. I was able to manually push the window Back up.

The Marietta ga service center replaced the part in June 2019:
M3 INTEVA FR RH WINDOW REGULATOR(1096621-00-
F)
At appointment and it took them about an hour. Under warranty. No issues. Works fine now. no rattles or loose trim. Great experience at service center.

The worst part was scheduling the appointment ,and confirming the center had part before coming in for appointment. Difficult to get anyone on phone at service centers.

The first time is hard. Getting all the right socket set. I keep in bag now. Same with door mechanism. After one, rest r easy. I've done 3 doors, 2 windows. One port, front hubs, tie rod ends, front brakes. Water pump.
When they go out of warranty, u have to be rich , or fix the stuff yourself. Most SC and help desk will not help u. Help desk refused to tell fuses layout. I'll bought complete shop manual. That's insane to tell u to go to SC to get fuse replaced, for $175.

There's a good video on youtube of a guy replacing a door window that was broken by a thief. That video will answer all your questions.

I used that video to adjust my door glass to fix an alignment issue that was causing an air gap in the window seal. I posted about it on this forum, so you should be able to find my post or the youtube video pretty easily.

Gruber Motors in Phoenix, AZ has designed and built a replacement part out of aluminum for the high failure plastic part in the window regulator.
It was $31 including shipping
I have reversed engineered this part and created a drawing. I contacted Gruber, and they said it was OK to post. I have included their contact info on the drawing (and below), if you would like to order a part.

Gruber Motors
203 W Lone Cactus Dr
Phoenix, AZ 85027
grubermotors.com
(623) 433-8500

Attachments

• Window regulator aluminum part, Solidworks drawing.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 117