Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window rolls down an inch when I open the door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 model S. About a week ago I started getting messages on the app saying the drivers side window wasn't fully closed. I started paying attention and noticed that sometimes when I open the door the window goes down about an inch. It happens when I'm outside or inside the car. I've seen the threads about people doing this with their hands but like i said, it happens when I'm outside of the car too. Anyone have any advice? thanks.

I have a 2015 model S. About a week ago I started getting messages on the app saying the drivers side window wasn't fully closed. I started paying attention and noticed that sometimes when I open the door the window goes down about an inch. It happens when I'm outside or inside the car. I've seen the threads about people doing this with their hands but like i said, it happens when I'm outside of the car too. Anyone have any advice? thanks.
That's normal so it will clear the rubber seal, but it should go back up when you close the door.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
If it doesn't go fully up when you close the door, or you keep getting the warnings, reset the window limits by pressing the down button until the window goes all the way down, and hold the button for several seconds after it reaches the down limit. Raise the window fully and likewise hold for a few seconds. This sets the window up and down limits so it will open and close fully.

Only sometimes. If it doesn't do it every time, something is broken.

I get alerts on the app all the time about all 4 windows randomly being opened when they aren't.

Only sometimes. If it doesn't do it every time, something is broken.

I get alerts on the app all the time about all 4 windows randomly being opened when they aren't.
While your statement makes sense, and should be true, this is a Tesla. I have never seen a car where apps and things sometimes work and sometimes don't. Nothing seems constant. Apps disappear for days after an update, and you think it is broken. Then it will reappear magically without doing anything. Sometimes, if it doesn't act the same way all the time, it may not be broken.

Reactions: btlalum
While your statement makes sense, and should be true, this is a Tesla. I have never seen a car where apps and things sometimes work and sometimes don't. Nothing seems constant. Apps disappear for days after an update, and you think it is broken. Then it will reappear magically without doing anything. Sometimes, if it doesn't act the same way all the time, it may not be broken.

I'm not talking about apps. I'm talking about basic door and window functionality in the BCM.

I'm not talking about apps. I'm talking about basic door and window functionality in the BCM.
My 1997 Jaguar also had windows that came down 1 inch to open the door, and then raised in the channel to seal the window once the door was closed. It had no other computers or intelligence other than the limit switches, and I had to set the up and down limits of the car at least every 6 months, because the window would stay down 1 " when I closed the door. I am saying you are wrong.

If it doesn't go fully up when you close the door, or you keep getting the warnings, reset the window limits by pressing the down button until the window goes all the way down, and hold the button for several seconds after it reaches the down limit. Raise the window fully and likewise hold for a few seconds. This sets the window up and down limits so it will open and close fully.
thanks, i did this and so far so good.

thanks, i did this and so far so good.
Like having to do this with my Jaguar occasionally, I've had to reset the limits 3 times in the first year of ownership on my Tesla. Usually the passenger window is reported open on the app, but it surely looks closed to me with the door shut. I wonder if Tesla contracted out the windows to Lucas Electronics in England like my Jaguar? Very similar. :)

Reactions: brucet999
2016 90D Driver window goes down 2"each time door open (in or out) 6x open - fully opened the window - this is not normal gap for frameless - I tried RESET many times (may get fixed for a moment them go bad)
This only happened after my last service - NO COOLANT and they changed 2 valves
Any idea

Like having to do this with my Jaguar occasionally, I've had to reset the limits 3 times in the first year of ownership on my Tesla. Usually the passenger window is reported open on the app, but it surely looks closed to me with the door shut. I wonder if Tesla contracted out the windows to Lucas Electronics in England like my Jaguar? Very similar. :)
I liked the reference to Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave