Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window self venting madness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it wasn't for not knowing the underlying cause, it would be funny...

I just found that the car has, on two occasions that I know of, decided to self vent a window.

The first time I was snow foaming the car... :eek: I had done the other side, screen, roof and rear and was just moving towards the front when I spotted this...:oops:

upload_2020-9-3_12-43-56.png

Thankfully, no major damage done as I had a couple of helpers who could clean up the inside. SMWBO didn't expect to get the inside cleaned at the same time o_O

I think it probably happened when I got in the car when starting the job to put wipers in service mode. None the less, windows are on the new 'auto close mode'.

TeslaFi not very helpful as it had previously been asleep and the window open occurred during that - at start of that sleep, window was up. It missed me entering the car to put in wiper service mode too.

upload_2020-9-3_12-53-59.png upload_2020-9-3_12-55-43.png

Then, just as swmbo was trying to get into the car by opening rear passenger door, car told her to use keycard. Just as she was opening the drivers door, she noticed the rear passenger window down, again by the similar amount - venting amount rather than unlock amount. We are not sure when this happened, but 15 minutes before, I had been drying that part of the car and it definitely was not open.

So two different windows opened all by themselves to the venting amount. Oh yes, and window open notification didn't work even though its enabled (much like charge notifications) although its quite likely that they were not open long enough - 10mins?

During the wash, the car downloaded 2020.32.5 (from 32.3), so I will install that this evening, full reboot as usual and monitor - hopefully it does not rain. I don't think its hardware as two different windows.

Anyone witnessed similar gremlins?

I have heard that due to the location of the door open button in the car is in the right position for someone's forearm to rest on the electric window controls and a single short press could just 'vent' the window - I could be wrong but that is a possibility?!?

Hmm..that sounds bad. I'd forgotten about the window close thing because we've been rather preoccupied - first my wife (last Friday), then me (Tuesday) tested positive for Covid so house bound for a couple of weeks & the car is not being used (apart from 2 trips to a vast post apocalyptic drive through test centre surrounded by hi-viz & hazmat suited officiators).

Anyway, the car's on 32.3, the charge level is below 50% & as its sunny I thought I would put some charge in & vent the windows. Ten minutes later a message pops on the phone "Multiple windows are not fully closed" Seems useful & works OK (....which is more than can be said about either of us!)

Thanks, so far it's nothing worse than a constant headache, cold like symptoms & slight vertigo. The first night I had upper body muscle pain & fatigue but now the immune systems have fought back we're pretty good, with the bonus that we re expected to have several months with antibodies/immunity. Bizarre how the main symptoms are meant to be cough, fever, loss of taste/smell & we've got none of those, nor has sister-in-law who we think may have been the spreader & she's isolating too.

Thanks, so far it's nothing worse than a constant headache, cold like symptoms & slight vertigo. The first night I had upper body muscle pain & fatigue but now the immune systems have fought back we're pretty good, with the bonus that we re expected to have several months with antibodies/immunity. Bizarre how the main symptoms are meant to be cough, fever, loss of taste/smell & we've got none of those, nor has sister-in-law who we think may have been the spreader & she's isolating too.
Really hope you feel better soon! (sorry to hijack the thread with another get well soon post) Covid sucks!!!

I have heard that due to the location of the door open button in the car is in the right position for someone's forearm to rest on the electric window controls and a single short press could just 'vent' the window - I could be wrong but that is a possibility?!?

Not a chance. With the second one the car hadn't even been opened between final drying and going out a few minutes later. I can't even see it it being the case with the first front passenger door as only drivers side had been opened so one of the 4 buttons would have needed to be depressed without any of the others. Plus in 11+ months, its never been an issue, and to get 2 in the same day is more than chance.

I read those reports and it mystifies how they could be accidentally hit.

Something I did notice, is that I got the TeslaFi software download started email (not getting the iPhone notifications since 2020.32.2) a few minutes before the window was found down.

And another one was that as I had been washing the car, my phone was in fairly close proximity (in the garage) and the app was open on the controls screen as I had opened the boot via the app. I think this may have had a bearing on the second one when the car would not initially open as I had unlocked the doors earlier by the app (to clean the inside of the sills) rather than using it as a proximity key. I wonder if some app/car refresh issue going on.

Last edited:
Not a chance. With the second one the car hadn't even been opened between final drying and going out a few minutes later. I can't even see it it being the case with the first front passenger door as only drivers side had been opened so one of the 4 buttons would have needed to be depressed without any of the others. Plus in 11+ months, its never been an issue, and to get 2 in the same day is more than chance.

I read those reports and it mystifies how they could be accidentally hit.
lol well i'm still waiting for my M3 and my test drive was just a blur of SPEED!!!!!! so I can't clearly recall the interior door handle lol!

Using the Dutch Reach should prevent this.

Dutch Reach Project – A site to promote the Dutch far-hand habit to avoid dooring cyclists, or drivers or passengers from stepping into on-coming traffic.

I will never understand people who throw doors open without looking. I was passenger in a car being parked and the driver parked on the right just threw their door open, just in time for his door to be crunched by my friend's Firebird.

Just another random thought - is it possible the water/foam jet put enough pressure on the door handle outside to trigger the window drop and the car thinks that the door is trying to be opened - but doesn’t complete the cycle as the door is not opened fully and then closed ?

Just another random thought - is it possible the water/foam jet put enough pressure on the door handle outside to trigger the window drop and the car thinks that the door is trying to be opened - but doesn’t complete the cycle as the door is not opened fully and then closed ?

Thats open by the venting amount. Window drop on door open is much smaller amount.

Plus, whilst it may not look like it, the foam on the door was not a direct action so applied from several meters away - the foam on the door was applied as part of foaming the rear and roof of the car so I had not got direct to the door by that point which is why I didn't notice the window open until I had actually got to that panel.

Subtle, but you can tell by the amount of rubber seal exposed - Venting there is a gap between top of window and seal.

upload_2020-9-4_9-26-26.png

Last edited:
I have an issue with my front passenger window that it won't close after venting. Or rather it tries to close then bounces back after detecting an obstacle. This is then not reported and the car states all windows are closed (although I've not checked if the new window warning says anything).
So my car often looks like yours does in the pic with the one window vented, but in my case I have manually vented the windows. Very strange that yours has done it without venting.
I also had an issue when new where the rear door would also drop after closing, I thought it was the kids pressing the window down button when getting out so blamed them, until it happened to me from the outside of the car. Service centre said they had seen this and it generally went one way of the other, so got better and went away or got worse so they could see it happen and swap the switch out. In my case after a good bit of switch pressing to try and make it happen it just stopped and has never misbehaved since (the car's a year old now). My venting issue persists but I've been too lazy to check if it's catching on the rubber a bit which is my assumption.

I recently had the rubbers changed by service centre, although not the rear ones I believe. I'll mention this with a mobile ranger visit on Monday to see what they have to say - this is not on the service list so unlikely they will be willing to do anything about it that visit.

I've had a similar venting problem a couple of times over the past few weeks. First was while foaming just like the OP and led to a load of foam inside the car. Second was yesterday after driver and passenger got into the car at a car park both front windows stayed at the low vented position not just the door opening position. Weirdly it was snowing at the time. Could there be a connection? Snow foam and actual snow?