Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window shades for middle Row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know of any tried/tested window shades for the middle row of a model Y?

We are getting a full roof shade from Amazon, but need a good window shade for a baby seat.

Tried one that hangs on the window, but it perturbed the weather seal and created a lot of road noise.

In my quest for the same product, I can across these Side window sunshades

Might take a while to get to you, but they go over your window, so it would cancel out the road noise
Cool concept, but I dont see those holding up in WA weather. Would like to keep the whole product on the interior. Either suction cup, or a flexible frame mesh specific to the Model Y windows.

Thanks for the link however!

Reactions: 73Bruin
I am using the following side widow shades when waiting at a supercharger on a sunny day.

Note: Because of the Tesla frame-less side windows, it is not possible to attach the shade to the window.
I have a Model 3, so I didn't tried the Model Y version, but the shades that I have fit perfectly when installed from inside the car.

The shades stay in place even if you open the windows with the door closed, however you have to be careful​
when you open the door because the shades don't stay attached to the door and could drop on the floor.​

I tried adding a little clip on the top to keep the sunshade attached to the window when opening the door,​
but when you open the door the window goes down a little bit and then the clip slides away.​
The best solution to keep the shades attached to the windows is to put a little rope horizontally all around the window.​
This is not a perfect solution, but I find it helpful, you can even drive and the rope outside will not get affected by the wind.​
But every time you open the door the rope move a little bit, so after a while you need to readjust the rope.​
Those side window shades are easy to install and this is a simpler solution than tinting your windows.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jjrss
I am using the following side widow shades when waiting at a supercharger on a sunny day.

Note: Because of the Tesla frame-less side windows, it is not possible to attach the shade to the window.
I have a Model 3, so I didn't tried the Model Y version, but the shades that I have fit perfectly when installed from inside the car.

The shades stay in place even if you open the windows with the door closed, however you have to be careful​
when you open the door because the shades don't stay attached to the door and could drop on the floor.​

I tried adding a little clip on the top to keep the sunshade attached to the window when opening the door,​
but when you open the door the window goes down a little bit and then the clip slides away.​
The best solution to keep the shades attached to the windows is to put a little rope horizontally all around the window.​
This is not a perfect solution, but I find it helpful, you can even drive and the rope outside will not get affected by the wind.​
But every time you open the door the rope move a little bit, so after a while you need to readjust the rope.​
Those side window shades are easy to install and this is a simpler solution than tinting your windows.
Exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you!

Reactions: Watts_Up