Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window slap/rattle when closing

iaonbb

Jul 21, 2018
Mile High
Anyone else noticed this? It makes kind of a slapping/short rattle sound every time we close the front doors. This does not happen on my model so I'm guessing since the windows are so much taller and they are unsupported at the top that this is unavoidable. A luxury car like this should have a solid thunk and pressurization when closing the doors. The slap/rattle makes it sound very cheap. Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

CaliX

Feb 14, 2016
Los Angeles
Anyone else noticed this? It makes kind of a slapping/short rattle sound every time we close the front doors. This does not happen on my model so I'm guessing since the windows are so much taller and they are unsupported at the top that this is unavoidable. A luxury car like this should have a solid thunk and pressurization when closing the doors. The slap/rattle makes it sound very cheap. Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

I had mine fixed at service center. It was loud.

iaonbb

Jul 21, 2018
Mile High
I had mine fixed at service center. It was loud.

Thanks! Good to know that it can be adjusted. I'll have to add it to the relatively minor list I have since taking delivery 2 weeks ago.

1. Right front exterior door handle sticking.
2. Right side camera loose
3. Door ding noted at delivery

Other than that, It's close to perfect. Thankfully, none of the other issues that a lot of the early builds had.

jf64k

May 9, 2020
Los Angeles
My right/front door is making that noise now....it's not crazy-loud but it's definitely louder than the other doors.

I'm taking mine on for service this Friday (for Homelink and a slight rear seat alignment issue) and will have them take a look at it.

wasloan

Feb 18, 2020
New Orleans
Last year I sat in two different model 3s in NYC and CA showrooms. Only the one in NYs front passenger door had this issue.

My Y does not make this noise. Ask them to fix it.

iaonbb

Jul 21, 2018
Mile High
I have two M3s and neither of them have this issue. I just attributed it to the taller glass height and being frameless. Will be interesting to see what they do to tighten it up so to speak

evanm

Aug 11, 2018
Richmond, VA
I have the same issue, yesterday when I closed the front drivers door, the window would go down 3 inches. I think because the door was not fully closed. Need to make service appt. Pretty sad they couldn't get this right.

Brown1428

Jul 29, 2020
Georgia

It may be that your door’s striker is improperly aligned and making contact with the latch as you close the door. The latch is designed to “take up” a slightly misaligned striker but will yield a “metal on metal” clank when closing the door. SC should be able to adjust.

empiredown

Mar 27, 2020
There is probably a loose fastener in the window mechanism. It took about a minute to tighten the books during a service appointment in our garage. Easy fix and no more rattles.

ß

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC