Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Squeak Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone fixed a window squeak issue on their Tesla Model 3?
Lately, I noticed my drive side window squeak for a tiny bit when rolling down. This was caused by me spilling a drop of liquid inside the inner seal. This wasn’t a big issue since the noise/squeak was bearable, but I wanted to resolve it to be squeak-free, however, after applying silicone lubricant, it made a minor problem into a major problem, which shouldn’t since it’s silicone lubricant, right?

I used B’laster’s Industrial Strength Silicone Lubricant and applied it to all seals of the driver side window (top, left, right, and bottom inner and outer seals). After application and rolling down the window, the noise got worse… I tried to add more lubricant to the bottom seals since the noise only came when rolling down (not up), but the issue worsened. I gave it a couple days to dry, but the noise persists. I applied heat with a hairdryer to dry up any lubricant as per the FAQ on the product’s website, and this worked wonderfully, but unfortunately, only for only a night.

I’m looking for other options to have this fix before reaching out to Tesla. My 50k mileage warranty is up, so I would like to avoid Tesla for now.
I did purchase Gummi Pflege since this was mentioned often here, but I’m a little hesitant if it will make my problem worse. But if I were to use it, would I apply it to the bottom seals (inner and outer)?

Silicone lubricant isn't the right product for window seals. What you want is Gummi Pfledge Stift, which should be applied to all rubber window sealing surfaces.

Thanks! I received that yesterday so I’ll try it out.

Do you have any recommendations on removing any remaining silicone lubricant I applied especially inside the bottom window seals, where the windows come in contact throughout the track?
I want to make sure I work with a clean system before applying the GF in case this doesn’t cooperate well with the recently added lubricant.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I received that yesterday so I’ll try it out.

Do you have any recommendations on removing any remaining silicone lubricant I applied especially inside the bottom window seals, where the windows come in contact throughout the track?
I want to make sure I work with a clean system before applying the GF in case this doesn’t cooperate well with the recently added lubricant.
Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation on what to do about the silicon or if it's even necessary to get it all off.

Upvote 0
Where exactly does one apply the Gummi product? My understanding is the squeaking is caused by the water on the window rubbing on the outside somewhere when going up and down. But the main outside seal where the window touches isn't rubber; it is a soft material almost like the console trays - black felt.

I am having the same problem and cannot find a descriptive answer on any of the threads.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. It was just my drivers side at first and now all windows are doing it to some degree. I made a service center appointment but they canceled it claiming that it is “expected behavior.”

I have never owned or even been in a car that squeaks like this. There must be something that can be done to fix this. Please let us know if the Gummi stuff worked for you.

Upvote 0
Where exactly does one apply the Gummi product? My understanding is the squeaking is caused by the water on the window rubbing on the outside somewhere when going up and down. But the main outside seal where the window touches isn't rubber; it is a soft material almost like the console trays - black felt.

I am having the same problem and cannot find a descriptive answer on any of the threads.
Apply it to the black felt, as well as the normal rubber.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Upvote 0
My driver door window started squeaking a bit in early 2020 and a Tesla mobile technician replaced the seal to fix it. Before that I tried using silicone lubricant (that was made specifically for rubber seals) and it helped for a day or two before the squeak came back. I pulled back the inner seal with the window all the way down to look inside and part of the lower seal had a small tear and was folded in on itself. I wasn't sure if Tesla would charge me for the replacement due to my windows being tinted, but it was replaced under warranty. Here is what it showed on the invoice:

Correction: Seal - Inner Belt - Front Door - LH (Remove & Replace)
Part
M3, Seal, Front, DOOR, INNER BLT, ASY, LH(1090495-00-D)

Upvote 0
Anyone know what the Gummi Pfledge Stift product is made of, and/or why it should be preferred over pure silicone oil? I know the former is supposed to be water based, but I wonder if it's made from something less than desirable. I read another thread where a user promoted coating the door window seals with silicone oil and he seemed quite happy with it.

What's the SAFEST way to remove ice and snow from the car?

Upvote 0
Anyone know what the Gummi Pfledge Stift product is made of, and/or why it should be preferred over pure silicone oil? I know the former is supposed to be water based, but I wonder if it's made from something less than desirable. I read another thread where a user promoted coating the door window seals with silicone oil and he seemed quite happy with it.

What's the SAFEST way to remove ice and snow from the car?
You want a product that is specifically made for rubber window and door seals. All products that contain silicone are not the same and may have additives that deteriorate the rubber seals. Gummi Pfledge states that it is made specifically for door and window seals. Other silicone lubricants might not be made specifically for that and have harmful additives.

Reactions: nicedrum
Upvote 0