Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint recommendation (San Diego / Poway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a recommendation in the San Diego/Poway/Miramar area for tint for my 2021 M3P.

More general questions about window tinting these days...

1. What amount of tint is legal for the front side windows in California, if any? Trying to decide whether to go with something like 20% or go even lighter to avoid the "fix it ticket" at some point in the future.

2. For a 2021 M3, are owners tinting the entire back roof glass or partial up to (and over I guess?) the gradient to where it turns dark.

3. What is a good amount of tint for the rear side windows that isn't overkill and still allows viewing out of the car at night? 20%? 15%?

4. What is the max cost I should accept for regular tint vs. ceramic for all side windows plus the back roof glass?

I got my tint at Adonis Detail. They are located in Carlsbad. The tint they have is called Spectra Photosync. It is a more expensive compared to other brands, but it does offer the best heat rejection…which is important to me in San Diego.

To answers your questions:
1. Legal limit for front side is 70% (higher the number, the lighter it will be). Having said that, I have 30% all around on my 3 and never got pulled over in 3 years.

2. Some places does it in 1 piece, some in 2 pieces. Adonis Detail does it in 1 piece.

3. I have 30%, and for me, it is difficult to view out of the side mirrors if your mirrors are also dimming. If I turn off auto dimming, then it’s much better.

4. Rear in one piece + Sides for Spectra Photosync is about 1k

I got my tint at Adonis Detail. They are located in Carlsbad. The tint they have is called Spectra Photosync. It is a more expensive compared to other brands, but it does offer the best heat rejection…which is important to me in San Diego.

To answers your questions:
1. Legal limit for front side is 70% (higher the number, the lighter it will be). Having said that, I have 30% all around on my 3 and never got pulled over in 3 years.

2. Some places does it in 1 piece, some in 2 pieces. Adonis Detail does it in 1 piece.

3. I have 30%, and for me, it is difficult to view out of the side mirrors if your mirrors are also dimming. If I turn off auto dimming, then it’s much better.

4. Rear in one piece + Sides for Spectra Photosync is about 1k
Thank you for responding! I've had 2 "fix it tickets" over the years with two separate vehicles. Usually delivered by cops that had nothing better to do but harass good people ;)

Good tip about the auto dimming. I think my 21 M3P has it. I'll shop around locally... Carlsbad is too far of a hike for this job.