Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint recommendations - SoCal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All

I have an incoming Model X and I would like to get the windows tinted all around + windshield

My go-to guy told me the following, and wanted to see if you guys were told the same?
1) The 2 sunroofs on the FWD are acrylic and thus film will not stick to it long-term. Is this true?

2) The windshield. AirBlue 80 is the only film we've use which can cover such a large and curved glass in one sheet. I've heard other shops are using multiple pieces of film, but if using shaded film you will be left with visible seams through out the windshield.

Any recommendations to shops will be greatly appreciated. I'm in the Orange County area. Thanks!

I do my cars at Southbay Tinting in Torrance...kind of far from you, but they've done tons of X's. They're a 3M Crystalline shop though, don't know what film you want to use. They special order a large sheet of the 3M if you want to do the whole front windshield.

We're located in North San Diego County and have worked on many many X's so far. I'd highly recommend looking into Spectra Photosync or CeraLuxe quantum ceramic films. They offer the best heat rejection, clarity and performance of any film on the market! We are authorized installers of both and our Tesla clients absolutely love the performance they receive!!

Attachments

• Spectra PhotoSync (Digital Brochure).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
We're located in North San Diego County and have worked on many many X's so far. I'd highly recommend looking into Spectra Photosync or CeraLuxe quantum ceramic films. They offer the best heat rejection, clarity and performance of any film on the market! We are authorized installers of both and our Tesla clients absolutely love the performance they receive!!
So Tim,
Tesla here keep telling me the windows are already tinted and no extra tint is required. What's your take on that?
Also is it true the fwd skylights are plastic, not glass?

If you have the chance, you should definitely consider Tim as your solution. Him and his guys do incredible work!

Hello All

I have an incoming Model X and I would like to get the windows tinted all around + windshield

My go-to guy told me the following, and wanted to see if you guys were told the same?
1) The 2 sunroofs on the FWD are acrylic and thus film will not stick to it long-term. Is this true?

2) The windshield. AirBlue 80 is the only film we've use which can cover such a large and curved glass in one sheet. I've heard other shops are using multiple pieces of film, but if using shaded film you will be left with visible seams through out the windshield.

Any recommendations to shops will be greatly appreciated. I'm in the Orange County area. Thanks!
Hello All

Hi.
1. The Falcon Wing roofs are made of glass not acrylic so you can install tint to them with no issues. We have been installing Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe Quantum Ceramic to 230 Tesla Model Xs so far.

2. We do not recommend doing it in 2 pcs. All of the installations we perform are done so in 1 piece, which gives it the best aesthetics. However, you would be limited in installers capable of doing this windshield in one piece not only due to the size of the glass, but also because of the difficulty.

Prestige Film Technologies, the manufacturer of Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe, do have master rolls at 72 inch to accomodate the Model X windshield.

As for installers in OC, speak to Tim at Adonis Detail or Extreme Autowerks - they are both PhotoSync and CeraLuxe Dealers and have extensive experience with Teslas.

For those considering between Huper and Photosync, here is a test we recently conducted with EDTM Spectrum Analyzer. This is the most advanced portable system that measures Infrared (IR) for both near and far IR. It is also the most accurate system available to the market that uses its patented optics to reproduce the solar spectrum to give unquestionable data. It runs with NFRC300 standards, so there are no mistakes or variances in the readings of the films being tested. Below are the 2 cars:

1. Porsche 911 GT3 done by a Southern California Huper Dealer with Huper 50
2. Jaguar done by us with Photosync 55

*Spectrum Anaylzer reads the amount of Infrared passing through the glass.

Huper 50 (1st photo)
83% infrared rejection at 900-1000nm
82% infrared rejection up to 1700nm

Photosync 55 (2nd photo)
98% infrared rejection at 900-1000nm
95% infrared rejection up to 1700nm

As you can see there is a significant difference in infrared rejection at both near and far IR readings.

FB_IMG_1472617502151.jpg

20160524_163529.jpg

I got a quote for $900 windshield only with Photosync. 1 piece install, same day drop off/pickup.

LuckyX,

Sounds pricey. Do you know if they remove that black piece down the middle of the sunroof? I heard from a guy that said the installer removed it and then had problems with it. I guess they use glue for that. The guy I took it in today said he would rather not remove it and would prefer Tesla do that but that wouldn't be convenient.

Also, for those of you that did it, can you see any part of the film? Or is it completely hidden. My tint on my Model S you couldn't even tell it was there.

I have photosync on my X done by Premiere. All windows and even my roof. I'm not sure how long it took them to do the tint since I had them wrap my whoke car and it was there for a week.

They took off the mirror and conduit to do it. I also had them install the Blackvue too and they ran the wire through the same wire conduit. Seamless and no issues. If you are close to them, there is no reason to use anyone else. They are regarded as the best