Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks but you provide data, not information.

Again I ask, what should one spend to reduce heat and ignore the added expense of UV protection?

If you don't have a conclusion, that is ok.
I thought I made it clear: there is practically no difference in the UV protection of cheap tint vs ceramic tint. You are getting essentially nothing for your money if all you care about is UV protection.

Regular glass itself blocks all UVB, and roughly 25% UVA. Tempered glass like that used in cars, tend to block around 70%. If you have laminated side glass (like released in Model 3/Y later in the life of the model) it blocks 95% already.
Side windows offer surprisingly little protection against UV rays

If you are asking about the value of heat/IR, anyone what lives in a sunny climate will generally prefer to spend the extra money for heat/IR blocking. If you live somewhere it is always cloudy/cool or you always park indoors or in shade, then it would be of limited value. There is no right answer for this, depends on your own priorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Premiertint
I thought I made it clear: there is practically no difference in the UV protection of cheap tint vs ceramic tint. You are getting essentially nothing for your money if all you care about is UV protection.

Regular glass itself blocks all UVB, and roughly 25% UVA. Tempered glass like that used in cars, tend to block around 70%. If you have laminated side glass (like released in Model 3/Y later in the life of the model) it blocks 95% already.
Side windows offer surprisingly little protection against UV rays

If you are asking about the value of heat/IR, anyone what lives in a sunny climate will generally prefer to spend the extra money for heat/IR blocking. If you live somewhere it is always cloudy/cool or you always park indoors or in shade, then it would be of limited value. There is no right answer for this, depends on your own priorities.
Ok, Thanks

Did you mention any name?
I can not find one on this tread.
I know one place in LA doing Tesla for $600 + windshield extra
But it is too far

The message you previously quoted said “One Stop Tint”

North OC, $460 for ceramic tint, with one piece back roof window. I was given 10% discount from $500 because I am a repeat customer. One Stop Tint.

I guess I never thought of it but do people just get the rear window section tinted or do they get the entire run of glass up through the roof tinted?

all the way up to the roof. while that does rob you a bit of the "starlight" ceiling at night it doesnt give you a cutoff line from the tint which many people hate as you have to look at it all day long through the rearview mirror.