Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have full ceramic on my Model 3P as well as our Lexus RX and the heat rejection properties really make a difference. also plan to get the same for our new MYP. depending on where you live and the brand of tint, prices can vary. personally, quality ceramic is worth the money.
ive got a 22 m3p black/black with 20s coming soon. im in la. who did your tint and what percentages did you use? did you tint the roof?

It's "Tesla Tax" in my opinion.
I called a local tint shop and said I wanted 4 side windows tinted. Quote $500 after saying it's for a Tesla and confirming the back window did not need tint.

Blocked my #, called same place, request 4 side windows, when asked what the vehicle is, I said a '98 Civic. Poof... $200

A few places stated Teslas are more expensive due to the large rear window.

ive got a 22 m3p black/black with 20s coming soon. im in la. who did your tint and what percentages did you use? did you tint the roof?
I've taken 3 cars (and plan to take our upcoming MYP) to the same place in Redondo Beach, Fresh Window Tint. ask for Jose the owner if you're interested. TBH, not the cheapest option but they carry quality products and have done awesome work in the past.

my rear including the entire roof is limo/5%. the sides I did 15% and front windshield in 60%. unlike others, I don't really care for the glass roof so in anticipation for the warmer summers, I went as dark as possible with the highest grade, heat rejection.

That’s a major ripoff.

I had my 2020 Model 3 tinted with crystalline ( step above ceramic). Tint included entire back window (includes rear passenger roof area), sides, and entire front windshield for $700.

I had my 2019 Model 3 tinted with ceramic in the same manner, except without the windshield, for $425.

$900 definitely includes Tesla tax.

These guys in Sherman Oaks did my black/black M3LR this morning -- Glass Tinting | Sherman Oaks, CA | Sunshield Glass Tinting

Tremendous job, very communicative. $600 for 4 windows + rear (didn't do windshield for now). Will post pics in a few days once the film has set and I'm able to give it a wash. Went with 20% windows and 15% rear at the recommendation of the shop.

No Tesla Tax here. Pretty straight forward pricing. Did all my prior vehicles and 2 Tesla's here in Tulsa< Oklahoma

Tint Cost.JPG

Even in los angeles, you shouldn't pay more than maybe 500 max for a good quality ceramic tint. All these luxury name brand ceramics don't mean anything except more money out of your pocket. I've been in various cars with overpriced ceramic tints n didn't see or notice any difference between what I've had before n chose to get again on my model Y. Rayno s9. You can do s7 for cheaper but s9 blocks out more heat and it's noticeable. Where i went, they had a display sample with a heat lamp in a box and all 4 sides of the box being glass with different tint brands n the difference in radiating heat between s7 and s9 wasn't night n day but it was noticeable. 4 door windows, windshield and back glass was $500. S7 woulda been $400. $200 more for the roof but i chose not to since my car doesn't sit out in the sun. Being that prices for almost everything have gone up, this cost may have also increased since last march when i got mine done. Also, some places will go the cheap route and install the back glass in 2 pieces since they don't carry large enough film to do it in 1 piece. This is important for some folks which will also alter the cost a bit.