Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint Too Expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did sides and rear in 1 piece Ceramic tint in LA for 700$ , I think crystalline was 900$ but my previous experience with glare from crystalline on my last car swayed me to do the ceramic. I got it done at LA Tint Shop and they really did a great job.
Place has horrible reviews on Yelp if I’m looking at the right shop. Do you have a link to their site? This doesn’t even mention auto tint.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P

Attachments

• 505B55CF-0164-408E-A10C-8B9ECC43F02A.jpeg
    505B55CF-0164-408E-A10C-8B9ECC43F02A.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: Ashhong
I'm interested in getting tints soon, but I'm worried about seeing a line across the back window. The tech said I won't see it, but I'm wondering how I won't?? Does anyone have pics of tints installed on the back window?
A good tinter will put the seam on one of the defroster lines, so it won’t be noticeable from the inside or outside. The back window of the M3 is huge and curved, hard to do in one piece without a skilled installer.

Tint windshield? I know the pros, any cons? High quality shop in Whittier CA. They did the PPF a year and a half ago.

LLUMAR Window Tint (Ceramic & Infrared Tint) Lifetime Warranty

$150.00 Deposit Required to Book
Rear & All Sides in CTX Ceramic Tint $650.00
Rear & All Sided in IRX Infrared Tint $750.00

Front Top Glass Ceramic $195.00
Front Top Glass Infrared $250.00

Front Windshield in Clear Ceramic $250.00
Front Windshield in IRX Infrared 50% $325.00

If you just want the 4 side doors tinted they would be $350.00 in ceramic or $450.00 in infrared tint

We would need about 4 hours with an appointment 👍🏽

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Tint windshield? I know the pros, any cons? High quality shop in Whittier CA. They did the PPF a year and a half ago.

LLUMAR Window Tint (Ceramic & Infrared Tint) Lifetime Warranty

$150.00 Deposit Required to Book
Rear & All Sides in CTX Ceramic Tint $650.00
Rear & All Sided in IRX Infrared Tint $750.00

Front Top Glass Ceramic $195.00
Front Top Glass Infrared $250.00

Front Windshield in Clear Ceramic $250.00
Front Windshield in IRX Infrared 50% $325.00

If you just want the 4 side doors tinted they would be $350.00 in ceramic or $450.00 in infrared tint

We would need about 4 hours with an appointment 👍🏽
Is this the shop on Whittier behind the midas? Pricing is similar to what I was quoted there.

That’s the one,Transhine. They did a great job installing XPEL PPF on the front half of the car. They do not install Llumar F1 films so I will be using the shop in Upland that did my 2011 Infiniti G37.

FormulaOne tint series we offer.

CLASSIC SERIES is a patented color stable construction film that looks stylish but with good heat rejection (27%-41%).
Available Shades: 50% 35% 15% 05%
PRICES
• Front 2 doors only - $150
• All sides & rear windows - $599

CERAMIC FILMS:
Good, Better, & Best options

GOOD
CTX SERIES is a first generation single layer ceramic technology which offers no signal interference, with good heat rejection (42%-54%).
Available Shades: 50% 35% 15% 5%
PRICES
• Front 2 doors only - $199
• All sides & rear windows - $799

BETTER
PINNACLE SERIES is a second generation single layer innovative nano-ceramic technology offering better heat, glare, and UV protection without interfering with signals from your electronic devices. Pinnacle offers (49%-61%) heat rejection.
Available Shades: 50% 40% 35% 30% 25% 15% 5%
PRICES
• Front 2 doors only - $249
• All sides & rear windows - $999

BEST
STRATOS SERIES, Best in class technology 3rd generation double layer ceramic film that gives you MAXIMUM heat and infrared rejection (52%-63%) with no signal interference. Stratos offers a lighter film selection.
Available Shades: 70% 50% 40% 35% 30% 15%
PRICES
• Front 2 doors only - $299
• All sides & rear windows - $1199
ADDITIONAL SERVICES
We offer a range of additional services listed below. The price ranges depending on the film type you choose.
• Visor glare strip
• $80 - $149
• Sunroof
• $60 - $199
• Panoramic sunroof
• $399
• Front windshield - Air Series
• $199
• Front windshield - Pinnacle Series 50%
• $275
• Front windshield - Stratos Series 70% or 50%
• $375

I paid $665 for ceramic tint that blocks IR as well for all 4 windows and back window from a shop in Dallas that specializes in Tesla’s. I wanted to use a shop that I knew would take care of my Tesla and knew what they were doing. They are a vendor on here too.

I've ordered a M3LR and been drinking from a firehose gathering info... could have been here or Youtube but somebody with a fancy meter tested the OEM tint and said no UV gets through, only heat.

That would lead me, an ignorant newbie, to conclude ceramic might be overkill and only tinting of visible light is necessary?

I've ordered a M3LR and been drinking from a firehose gathering info... could have been here or Youtube but somebody with a fancy meter tested the OEM tint and said no UV gets through, only heat.

That would lead me, an ignorant newbie, to conclude ceramic might be overkill and only tinting of visible light is necessary?
Ceramic is mainly to block IR and heat. If you don't care about that, then you don't really need it. Most factory glass does a decent job of blocking UV already.

Thanks... Your reply begs the question of how much the more expensive ceramic blocks heat v. less expensive alternatives? If UV isn't a factor what is the best value?
YMMV depending on which film manufacturer you select. Here's an example for 3M.
Cheap dye based Obsidian series:
3m-automotive-window-film-obsidian-series-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.png

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005041445/
More expensive Ceramic series:
3m-automotive-window-film-ceramic-ir-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.png

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005118130/

You can see for UV the differences are negligible (0.3% in the max), but a 6-7% improvement in heat rejection and much stronger IR rejection (900-1000nm range), IR energy (780-2500nm) being more important for heat (13-14% improvement).

YMMV depending on which film manufacturer you select. Here's an example for 3M.
Cheap dye based Obsidian series:
3m-automotive-window-film-obsidian-series-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.png

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005041445/
More expensive Ceramic series:
3m-automotive-window-film-ceramic-ir-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.png

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005118130/

You can see for UV the differences are negligible (0.3% in the max), but a 6-7% improvement in heat rejection and much stronger IR rejection (900-1000nm range), IR energy (780-2500nm) being more important for heat (13-14% improvement).
thanks but you provide data, not information.

Again I ask, what should one spend to reduce heat and ignore the added expense of UV protection?

If you don't have a conclusion, that is ok.