Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a discussion on wrapping the car vs ceramic coating but wanted to start a separate thread for window tinting. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand of tints to get and any recommendation places in the GTA to get this done?

Also from my understanding, I believe in Ontario, the darkest tint we can get is 30 - 35%. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

I know there is a discussion on wrapping the car vs ceramic coating but wanted to start a separate thread for window tinting. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand of tints to get and any recommendation places in the GTA to get this done?

Also from my understanding, I believe in Ontario, the darkest tint we can get is 30 - 35%. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

I believe Ontario is NO tint allowed on front windshield, 75% visible light transmission on front seat side windows (tinted 25%) and whatever you want on the rear seat side and back windows.

Reactions: sakimano
Had my first car tinted at D-works Auto Tint & Detailing in Newmarket and they did a top notch job in just a few hours. Of course the tricky part will be getting a shop to do the rear window tint in one piece so it doesn't look like crap.

Actually there is a limiting law. Zero tint on the front windshield. 70 VLT (visible light transmission) front side windows and anything you want on the rear sides and back windows.

Ontario cyclists say new tinted window laws could stop 'Russian roulette' on roads | CBC News

Actually, the law is the same for the windshield and the front side windows.

Colour coating obscuring interior
(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

I would like some referrals as well. I want someone who can do the back window in one piece.

I wanted mine done in one piece as well but the shop I went to wasn't able to do it and I honest didn't want to search around. It actually turned out pretty good as a two piece and I doubt many would notice without looking really hard. It just looks like another element for the defrost.

DUB IR 20% all the way around - Did not tint the main front sunroof

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_100744.jpg
    IMG_20180603_100744.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20180603_111719.jpg
    IMG_20180603_111719.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20180603_111644.jpg
    IMG_20180603_111644.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 234
I wanted mine done in one piece as well but the shop I went to wasn't able to do it and I honest didn't want to search around. It actually turned out pretty good as a two piece and I doubt many would notice without looking really hard. It just looks like another element for the defrost.

Looks pretty good. Where did you get it done?

The number one thing a defendant with a tint charge says to me is ‘the shop said 70% was legal’. I’m sure they are the reason that so many people think there is a limit. That and the media. They get it wrong often too:)

Anyhow, the way the law is written, what’s too dark for one officer is fine for another. There is no hard limit.

The number one thing a defendant with a tint charge says to me is ‘the shop said 70% was legal’. I’m sure they are the reason that so many people think there is a limit. That and the media. They get it wrong often too:)

Anyhow, the way the law is written, what’s too dark for one officer is fine for another. There is no hard limit.
Are you saying there ISN'T a 70% tint law in Ontario? To be clear 70% means 70% light transmission, why h is barely even tinted at all. Most people get tint at levels of 30% or darker. Someone in this thread just said they got 20% all around.

I'm reasonably sure that 70% is the new standard...enforcement of the new standard, that's another story.

Nice, thanks. Good to exactly what i'll be getting.

I am getting my tint done with Hamza at Get Detailed in Thornhill. They do PPF and ceramic coatings as well.
35% all around, 70% front windshield. Back window is 1 piece. I chose Xpel prime xr window film.
Can't wait to get the Silver Surfer back this week!

are you getting just the back window tinted or also the sunroof all in one piece? I just contacted someone from Get Detailed and they said they don't tint those windows "because the installers advise against it"