Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,
If anyone were interested in doing their own window tint, I took the rough measurements of the windows on my MS:

Rear: 40"W x 28"L
Sides: Front - 36"W x 16"L, Back - 30"W x 15"L
Windshield: 60"w x 36"L
Sunroofs (Openable): Front - 36"W x 21"L, Back - 36"W x 21"L

I figured if you plot it right on a full sheet, I can do all the sides and rear from a 3' x 10' sheet, the windshield & sunroofs from a 3' x 10'.
So if you're willing to do all sides and rear in the same VLT (ex: 35%), as well as the windshield and sunroofs in another VLT (70%), you can do the whole car pretty cheaply.
I'm going with some high-end Llumar FormulaOne Stratus that I found on ebay, total will be less than $120.
That doesn't include the DIY tools I'll need to get, but overall I'm still going to be saving a ton of money.

DIY tint isn't for the faint of heart, but I've done a little before. And I'd prefer to know it was done to my own quality standards. If I mess up, I only have to try again, and not deal with a business.
At these material costs, I could try 3x before costing more than having someone else do it. So I'm going for it. I'll learn along the way.

Reactions: aerodyne
good luck with your install. You prob know this already, but having a dust free or clean working environment will go a long way to ensuring that you dont have nasty dust and particulate matter stuck in between glass and film. I tried this once and learned the hard way, its hard to get perfect........hope you have a helper so you can get a top notch result

Reactions: ChooseFreedom