Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinter in Boston area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
Anyone have experience with a window tinter in the area? My kids love the jump seats but have found them very bright and hot on a sunny day - the youngest refused to sit there the other day. I recall seeing a thread about sunshades that were supposed to be forthcoming but I'm not very hopeful, and figure in the meantime I should get some tinting put on. I've seen lots of discussion of different materials on forum threads, anyone have experience with tinting and tinters in Boston and surroundings? Thanks in advance.

I had my Lexus GS300 done at Tint-King - at the time they were probably the most reputable installer in the area. The tints have been great and I've never had an issue with them.

There's a installer in Newton that I BELIEVE does tints (at least according to the website): AVI , 12 Hawthorn St, Newton, MA - we've had radio work done here and the work was fine.

They always have Ferrari's and Maserati's parked in their driveway - If other people trust their high-end vehicle to this shop, I'd trust my future MS (assuming high-end cars don't belong to the owner)

disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any of these folks.

Anyone have experience with a window tinter in the area? My kids love the jump seats but have found them very bright and hot on a sunny day - the youngest refused to sit there the other day. I recall seeing a thread about sunshades that were supposed to be forthcoming but I'm not very hopeful, and figure in the meantime I should get some tinting put on. I've seen lots of discussion of different materials on forum threads, anyone have experience with tinting and tinters in Boston and surroundings? Thanks in advance.

It isn't really Boston area, but I have to give a shout out to Jamie at Boomer McLoud in Nashua NH. We got our hatch and rear windows tinted there and they did a fantastic job as usual. Back in the day, I got custom stereo equipment and car alarms and remote starters installed from them.
The only warning is that he is champing at the bit to install an audio system in an MS after seeing mine and was disappointed that I wasn't interested right now. He was even talking about hooking up with buddies in Europe that had a lot of experience doing custom installs on EVs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It isn't really Boston area, but I have to give a shout out to Jamie at Boomer McLoud in Nashua NH. We got our hatch and rear windows tinted there and they did a fantastic job as usual.

What did you get put on the hatch and windows, and how do you like it? Any photos? The Wheel Dynamix guy is recommending 3M Crystalline 50 for the hatch (all I'm doing) - says on top of the existing tint Crystalline 40 would make it too dark to pass in MA (minimum 35%?).

I don't have any pictures handy (in the middle of a road trip to D.C.) but I can take some later and upload. I don't recall the brand, but we did 40% because it had the best UV protection while still being legal. I will pass the thread link to Jamie and see if he can post more details.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks. I've been on a series of calls with Jeff at Wheel Dynamix. Am in a rush to get this done by the weekend (long story) so it's going to cost me. Fortunately he had a Model S in his shop today (someone on here? I think he said it was black) so he could measure and estimate the labor. The smallest lot of 3M Crystalline 50 (only way to be legal on back window in MA according to Jeff) is enough to do several trunk windows. This is supposed to be the best at cutting heat (56%). I'm buying the whole roll for now but looking for others interested in getting their trunk and/or rear windows done. I'll post before and after photos and pricing when it's installed first thing Friday morning.

Thanks. I've been on a series of calls with Jeff at Wheel Dynamix. Am in a rush to get this done by the weekend (long story) so it's going to cost me. Fortunately he had a Model S in his shop today (someone on here? I think he said it was black) so he could measure and estimate the labor. The smallest lot of 3M Crystalline 50 (only way to be legal on back window in MA according to Jeff) is enough to do several trunk windows. This is supposed to be the best at cutting heat (56%). I'm buying the whole roll for now but looking for others interested in getting their trunk and/or rear windows done. I'll post before and after photos and pricing when it's installed first thing Friday morning.

Peter, I'm somewhat interested.

There was a Blue Model S in his shop yesterday (my kids texted me...) but it wasn't mine.

Had it put on this morning. Here are a few photos - forgot to take the before view and apologies for dirty roof from parking at Logan i think. They did a very clean job, and then pointed out areas where the Tesla paint armor was bad and they would have done much better (though at a higher price). Too late for me but anyone still configuring I suggest you call them for a quote before you order the "factory" armor.

There are some minor ripples but he said to leave it in the sun for a few days for it to "cure". They provide a lifetime warranty on the work. Jeff recommended putting the same 50 film on front and rear side windows. It's fully legal and is not very dark but due to its multi layers cuts 56% of heat. I'm seriously considering it as a way to increase comfort and range (less A/C) in summer but will wait until a) the rear window is tested a bit, and b) I get my left rear door replaced next week (had someone slide into me in the snow second day I had the car).

There is enough left on the roll to do at least 4 trunk windows or 2 cars sides and back, plus maybe another trunk. EdA and Robert, PM me and we can discuss further details. Robert let me know if you want to stop by and see it - I'm working from home today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366997131.872753.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366997177.940854.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366997199.524378.jpg

Peter
Picking up my P85 on Monday and really need to get the tint done due to the rear seats. Some of the other posts note a purplish hue on the back window with Crystalline 40. Do you see that with the lighter 50 shade? How is the heat reduction in the back? I will probably do the 4 windows and rear....what did your install run if you don't mind me asking? Thanks so much.

Peter
Picking up my P85 on Monday and really need to get the tint done due to the rear seats. Some of the other posts note a purplish hue on the back window with Crystalline 40. Do you see that with the lighter 50 shade? How is the heat reduction in the back? I will probably do the 4 windows and rear....what did your install run if you don't mind me asking? Thanks so much.

I haven't noticed a purplish hue, perhaps because it's not that dark. I'm going back tomorrow morning to have it put on the side windows as well.

Jeff at Wheel Dynamix doesn't stock the Crystalline so had to order a box for me. I bought the whole 25x3ft roll which runs about $18/ft and can do about 2 cars sides and trunk plus an extra trunk window. Robert is buying enough from me to do his car and Ed may do his trunk window. Jeff charged $140 labor for the trunk window and estimated $300 for sides and trunk.

PPeter thanks so much-let me know if you need anyone else to come is if there is extra. Debating between Formula 1 Pinnacle and Crystalline-are you seeing a significant difference in hea pt even with the lower tint lever?

Our 4-year old didn't want to get in the back even with her big sister after a couple of sunny days prior to tinting. Now she happily rides there even by herself. The Crystalline 50 cuts over half (56%) of the heat - but it can still get warm, so I wish there were A/C vents in the rear or pointing that way. That's why I decided to tint the sides as well - to help with overall cooling. Also pre-cooling the car on very hot days, or opening the pano and back windows.

I had my P85 window tinting done last week at Tint King in Bellerica-this is the 3rd Tesla they have done. Did a lot of research regarding best film in terms of value and decided to go with the Formula One Pinacle 40% tint which is very close to the protection of the Crystalline and does not have the purpleish hue for the rear window. Needed the tint due to the rear seats. Cost was $400 and Brian and Randy did a great job. I drove right and four people attacked the car-45 minutes later it was all done. Highly recommended.

Our 4-year old didn't want to get in the back even with her big sister after a couple of sunny days prior to tinting. Now she happily rides there even by herself. The Crystalline 50 cuts over half (56%) of the heat - but it can still get warm, so I wish there were A/C vents in the rear or pointing that way. That's why I decided to tint the sides as well - to help with overall cooling. Also pre-cooling the car on very hot days, or opening the pano and back windows.

Wheel Dynamix put the side tints on this morning - after we had to reschedule from a couple of weeks ago. Not a day to see how it cuts the sun's heat, but I can attest that Crystalline 50 is still plenty light to see out of on the sides, even on a gray, rainy day like today. Because the 50 is lighter than the 40 there is very little purplish hue on the trunk (apparently interacts with the color of the glass), but interestingly the trunk window shines reddish in rain - kind of a cool effect I saw for the first time today.

Looking forward to better weather Sunday to test the new tinting out...

I had Jeff at Wheel DynamiX, Inc. do my tinting (and paint armor).
It was fairly reasonable to tint the windows but in hindsight I'd probably see
how much a darker tint costs. (PeterK went with some very expensive stuff that
Jeff installed on his Model S, I probably wouldn't have gone that far).

Jeff has done multiple Model S's in terms of tinting, tires and paint armor.
He's also about 5 minutes from my house :)

Now if I could only recall what product he installed on my car...

/Ed