Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting and Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can mount the rear dash cam on the trim plastic instead of the window, which is what I did and a lot of other people have done. But that said, I'm not really very happy with the rear camera quality through the tint film... blurs and darkens the image (especially at night), but I'm not sure there's a way to get around this. I considered trying to cut a small portion of film out for the camera, but A) that would look really bad and B) because of the angle of the window it would really need to be much more than just a small portion of tint that gets removed. The camera uses a significant part of the rear window.

My front window is lightly tinted as well (it was tinted that way when I bought the car) and I mounted the front camera right over the tint and it hasn't been a problem, so mounting it over the tint in the rear would be an option too, but one thing I saw online about that suggested waiting a few weeks after the tint install to mount a camera on it to make sure the adhesive has time to set.

I have XPEL tint and a Thinkware F770 the rear is 1080p and is not affected by the tint at all, it looks great, night or day.
Hope that helps.
I'll try and grab a few photos from it driving at night, but take a look at the side by side comparisons done, I could see cutting a very small circle at the camera point and you would not even notice it though.

I have XPEL tint and a Thinkware F770 the rear is 1080p and is not affected by the tint at all, it looks great, night or day.
Hope that helps.
I'll try and grab a few photos from it driving at night, but take a look at the side by side comparisons done, I could see cutting a very small circle at the camera point and you would not even notice it though.
Thanks. Looking forward to your pics.

We usually install the rear dashcam straight on the rear glass after we tint. We usually install either Photosync 35 or Ceralux 20 on the rear window, and the camera quality is very good since it is so close to the glass. Does everyone use the Blackvue DR-650S 2CH or another system?

I use the BlackVue DR650S 2Ch. I installed the camerea after the tint but found that the picture quality is not as clear. So I carefully cut out a square from the tint and now am satisfied with the video quality. So I would place the camera first then have the tint shop tint around it.

Reactions: SMAlset
Can you share a photo?
I found this post while general dash cam search and thought I'd post a picture of mine. The angles are off as its a temp install, but the front has a UV clear tint and the back has 15% on top of a clear UV (previously done at clear). Ceramic tint. Very bring sunny Florida day, mid day so sun is at peak. This is where the polarized lenses would work great.

PhotoGrid_1499206442519~01.jpg

Thanks. Any chance you can grab a photo from the outside of the rear camera area where you did your cut out of film there? Curious if the area of film cut is noticeable from outside the car. Video grab look good.
I didn't cut the tint at all. I'll get a picture from the outside around the same time. I'm doubtful you can see much of it. I can't see [the rear cam] at all from the drivers side.

I'm very doubtful of the rear working at night though because 15% is pretty dark and in bright daylight its still dark. I'll be doing some night driving tomorrow and can see how it does.

Interesting. I see the photo sets were taken about the same time of day, nice. Definitely notice the difference. I have read that people who have their windows tinted... like even their side windows...can have difficulty at night seeing their side view mirror as it's auto dimming at night when lights are on it.

We actually would be happy to just have a clear or near clear film that blocks UV and has IR for some UV and heat reduction during out hot summer days.

Visibility from inside out is less with the 15% in the rear/back windows, but not as much as you would think, even with auto dim. It surprised me. But if all else failed, you have your reverse camera you can turn on at a single click too.

The app records a front and back that when you view, it shows you your location in a map, which moves as you move, with your MPG's and a button to switch back and fourth from front/rear video. The camera just uploads to a cloud on WiFi and its on your memory card to view on a computer too of course.

Here is a front/rear at around 430am. The rear is almost pitch black with the tint until you get to a more lighted area and its better then I thought it would be. I suppose if someone rear ends you, you can at least still capture lights approaching that that you didn't reverse into them if the front camera never moved backwards.

PhotoGrid_1499246841869~01.jpg
PhotoGrid_1499246506850~01.jpg