TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Window Tinting Awareness

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cclaygo, Apr 8, 2016.

1. cclaygo

cclaygo Member

In case anyone has their windows tinted, they should be aware of an issue with the driver windows. My window tinter engaged the lever inside the door latch to make the door think it was closed, this caused the window to go up so he could tint the entire window. However, when he did this the driver door tried to close on him (no big deal, it stopped when it hit him), but it then messed up the window so that it would not one touch go down or up. The window also would not close all the way when the door was shut.

This was resolved by closing the door and holding the window button down until it was all the way open and raising it back up again all the way a few times. It appears this is a re-calibration of some sort. After a few up and downs it worked fine again.

This only happened on my drivers door, but I wanted others to know the solution in case they have a similar issue.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  2. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

I had something similar, after having tint applied, when I tried to raise the Windows they would go to the top and then go down about half way. This is happening with both front windows, the Windows on the falcon wing doors are both working ok.

3. cclaygo

cclaygo Member

That sucks! I had a similar issue with one of my windows on my Model S. For some reason the rear back window would not go all the way up. It turns out it was the safety deal where if someones arm is in the window it goes back down. Something was making it think the window was hitting something and it would go back down. Oddly enough, when I opened the door it worked perfectly. This only occurred when the door was closed. I had a part replaced but this still occurred when it was hot outside...not sure if that is helpful or not.

• Informative x 1
  4. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

I had an appointment at the service center the next day (the car is still there) and they are looking at it.

5. mtimmy

mtimmy Member

Any cars that has auto up and down feature function the same.

you need to do a full up and full down few times for the motor to sense the voltage drop

6. mercc3650

mercc3650 Member

Something similar happened to me, but with driver and passenger windows, but after a few toggles with the up and down switch it fixed itself. Of note, initially the windows kept going down more and more when the doors were closed shut, but self-fixed when used the toggle to raise the windows.

7. tonyx

tonyx Member

Confirmed this worked. We had tinting done and afterward one window was going up too far, so when the door closed it was jumping almost an inch over the trim above the door!

These are the steps I took that worked:
    Step 1: Lower the window all the way; release the window button
    Step 2: Hold down the window button for 30 seconds
    Step 3: Raise the window all the way. Window hits the top and automatically lowers half way; release the button.
    Step 4: Repeat step 3 a few times (took three tries for me) until the window hits the top and STAYS THERE; release button
    Step 4: Hold up the window button for 30 seconds, all fixed.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. mikecaaa

mikecaaa Member

Thanks god I saw this solution. . . . . .

The window tinting is in progress............We did once and problem happened, so we took it out and we are redoing again. . . Cross finger. .. It really starts worry about this " TOO high tech Vehicle" . . . . .

• Like x 1
  9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Any tint mode or temporarily shutdown mode on the X?

10. Peanuticus

Peanuticus Member

I didn't read this thread before getting my side windows tinted and had the same fate.

But luckily it was a 5-minute fix at the repair center. He said they get a lot of requests for a "tint mode" on the car.

11. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

12. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

This actually worked for me when every other method that had been tried and tested here had work for others and not me. The 24 hour line even said we need to have your car come in but this did the trick.
    I did have to try step 3 around 8-10 times before the window stopped at the top before coming down half way.

13. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

In Step 1 and 3, when raising the window, do you mean to hold the button in the "up" position or is it OK to use the one-touch-close functionality?