Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting for baby / pet / temperature control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone - I have a baby who's in her car seat when we drive. Summer has arrived (thank god) and I was surprised just how hot surfaces get during a drive even with the amazing UVA/B protection inbuilt on the windows.

I've seen posts asking what shade people use but still looks like no one's cracked it yet. In our last car we had a sock type of shade which went over the door frame. Given the windows in the Tesla don't have a frame and they move when closed, I don't feel confident putting the sock on there that it wont damage the seal. That shade really kept the sun off and kept the surface area in the car cool.

So now I'm thinking about getting a dark tint in the back windows. Looks good (in my opinion), substantially limits the temperature pass through according to the product website... maybe this is the best option? Has anyone taken this approach or any other to reduce that in-drive surface heat gain?

You'll want a ceramic tint for the best heat rejection and it really makes a big difference. Before I had my windows tinted I'd keep my AC on the coldest setting because it never reached that temp anyway. After tinting, within about 15-20 mins the interior would actually get too cold. It doesn't make much of a difference when the car is just sitting outside for hours but with the AC on it can maintain the internal temp much better.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Like others have said, ceramic tint makes a big difference. You don't have to go dark if you don't want to. I also have my whole windshield tinted 70%.
When I drive other cars w/o windshield tint, I can feel my arms burning in direct sunlight.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
414AF6CF-6F12-48B1-B9C6-EC95C8519CA5.jpeg

Here is my car with 30% ceramic tint all around except the windshield and top glass. Full rear window though. Helps with keeping the heat out, but doesn’t do anything to prevent the sitting car get heat soaked. From the inside it feels like there is no tint.

Reactions: Jejunjm
The only film I use is 3M Crystalline. You can get it dark or clear (70%) and the heat/UV rejection is 97%. It’s expensive film but 100% worth the cost in my opinion. I’ve added it to every car I’ve owned since 2017 when I was introduced to it. Complete lifesaver and range saver for the MY. Good luck on your hunt!! Hope this helped.

3M Crystalline or Xpel XR Plus! I had 3M Crystalline and Ceramic IR on my previous car and it did make a difference. Black on black in summers. It gets HOT HOT HOT.

do be weary that it wont be ice cold when you hop in your vehicle but it will take significant faster to cool down your vehicle and stay that way also!

and ceramic tint is not cheap

3M Crystalline or Xpel XR Plus! I had 3M Crystalline and Ceramic IR on my previous car and it did make a difference. Black on black in summers. It gets HOT HOT HOT.

do be weary that it wont be ice cold when you hop in your vehicle but it will take significant faster to cool down your vehicle and stay that way also!

and ceramic tint is not cheap
I heard ceramic tints look a bit blue, does the xpel xr plus look really blue and clearer tints?

I too am looking into tinting my windows as well.

just to throw a wrench into the system, has anyone experience any cracked windows with ceramic tint per previous threads. I am only concerned with ceramic as that is the only option that seems to work

I have neutral gray tint for IR which is on inside of glass of course and clear ceramic coat for heat on outside. Ceramic coating on paint and PPF on front and side mirrors. Works fine, good heat reduction, no cracking, even in Texas heat. Used another DIY ceramic coating on windshield and side windows so water no long adheres to car or windows.