Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched this forum and did not find a thread about front window tinting in BC. Last month I imported my X and 3 into BC. In California I had 70% tint applied to the front windows, both sides (that is legal there). When I had the required provincial inspection done on my cars prior to registering them I was told the tint had to be removed because in BC no tinting is allowed and the cars could not pass inspection with the tint in place. So the tint was removed.

I miss the UV and IR protection that a tint provides (obviously Vancouver is not as sunny as California but there are still plenty of sunny warm days here in summertime). 3M makes a Crystalline Series CR90 tint with 90%VLT which is barely noticeable visually. See https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00016683/ . Now that my cars are registered I’m considering having it installed and taking my chances. Anyone in BC used that tint?

FB11B85A-2CFC-4D87-BE8D-A357B28EAD2F.jpeg
053ADF8B-3528-401F-AD18-6094DC8E0B27.jpeg
19337D25-2910-49DB-A7DF-BEA7ED6195FB.jpeg
B335730D-78AC-4073-A4D0-2C883DFABE70.jpeg
B335730D-78AC-4073-A4D0-2C883DFABE70.jpeg

I called Street Legal Tinting in North Vancouver. They confirmed there are no tints that block IR/UV and are not noticeable, that they would tint front side windows but the customer has to sign a liability release, they are not liable for the cost of fines and then removing the tint, and in BC any level of tint is illegal.

So the name of that company is something of an oxymoron. ;)

Hi everyone, I need to get my Y’s front windshield tinted (top 7” or whole thing). I am finding it too bright while driving and constantly using sun visor. Getting old and having some eye issues which is why it is too bright.

Anyone have more recent recommendations on tinting front windshield in greater Vancouver area ?

Okay, but do you think tinting only that very small area of the windshield is going to make much difference to you?

When the sun is out I use sunglasses while driving. Cheaper than window tinting, and legal. 😉
I talked to few tint shops and they did offer me front windshield tint. If you go with ceramic tint and their lightest colour you won't even notice it there but it helps with the glare (not so much if direct sunlight). I don't like that at all because I think it will reduce my visibility overall. But talk to a local tint shop. I am getting my windows tinted this week at Brookswood Tint shop in Langley (all 4 sides + half of the rear window for my M3).

Reactions: gyozaman
I got a quote from Infinite Window Tinting for front and 2 sides. I just got the Y five days ago so I'll see how it goes in a month. Glaucoma runs in the family and the glare is quite bad in the Y. I had issues with the 3 too, but the flip down visor was the solution in the 3. For the Y, it could be the angle that I am sitting at in relation to the windshield but the visor isn't good enought and I am still having issues with being too bright.

@ecarfan : Wearing prescription sunglasses is too dark for me when looking at side and rear windows. I don't want to tint the front unless I really need to. But it's only a few hundred $ and I am assuming it is removable if I don't like it, or if I get pulled over and fined.

@sokhangoo : Show us some pictures of your 4 sides when you get it done.