Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyone that has tinted all the windows except the back window in the M3? I’ve read about some of the issues that can come with this. If you’ve done this, how do you like it?
Life-long desert dweller here. (Translated: I seek shade!) I have 20% on the roof and back window, 35% on the side windows and PhotoSync on the windshield. The only issue with not tinting the back window is the large amount of heat and UV that huge chunk of glass lets in the cabin. That seems a bit anti-productive if you are doing the other windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: cbigfoot
Im probably going to have Ceramic Pro (LuxAutoSpa Nashville(Coolsprings)) Tint my windows Just got PPF (Full front Package) and Ceramic coating from them and did a great job.

@AZAV8R I was wondering if i should get more on the top before summer arrives so how dark is the roof with 20 ontop of the darkness it already is?

they quoted me ~5-600 for the 6 side windows and rear with their KAVACA Ceramic IR Window Tint @35% stupid Laws lol. so i may go for the roof as well but curious what you think of it. for the roof i assume i can go to 25% as there is no law stating roof darkness allowed. i probably will also leave the windshield alone too..

How much can I expect to spend to have everything tinted?
All depends on where you live and a lot of tint shops are slowing down with the economy on the brakes.

CA seems to be super expensive to get window tint for any Tesla. FL and Texas have more reasonable rates on Ceramic tint. $200 for the windshield, $350+ for the sides and back window. Sunshades for the glass roof works well in the Texas and Florida summers. in terms of %, 35% on drivers and passengers door, 20% on all back windows and 70% on the windshield. Skipped the roof above the driver, as the removable sunshade works better.

TSER - Total Solar Energy Rejected % is the best comparison on window tint. Only go with ceramic or better,

I like Llumar CTX ceramic tint - looks great and good TSER.

Expel Prime Black is a good choice too. Very close to their top of their line Prime Plus, but less expensive.

Last edited:
All depends on where you live and a lot of tint shops are slowing down with the economy on the brakes.

CA seems to be super expensive to get window tint for any Tesla. FL and Texas have more reasonable rates on Ceramic tint. $200 for the windshield, $350+ for the sides and back window. Sunshades for the glass roof works well in the Texas and Florida summers. in terms of %, 35% on drivers and passengers door, 20% on all back windows and 70% on the windshield. Skipped the roof above the driver, as the removable sunshade works better.
how low do the sunshades droop? im 6'7" so i enjoy the headroom and not having to rub on things lol...its very strange not having my head in the celling....but thats why im debating film as that would only droop like 1-2 MM or how ever thick it is lol i feel the shades would be 1-2" which could be a problem...

how low do the sunshades droop? im 6'7" so i enjoy the headroom and not having to rub on things lol...its very strange not having my head in the celling....but thats why im debating film as that would only droop like 1-2 MM or how ever thick it is lol i feel the shades would be 1-2" which could be a problem...
About an 1”. Putting tint on the roof glass will still get very hot to the touch. A barrier shade works best IMO. My Acura 21’ RDX Aspec has a power sunshade over the pano-roof, makes a world of difference when it’s closed in the summer.

they quoted me ~5-600 for the 6 side windows and rear with their KAVACA Ceramic IR Window Tint @35% stupid Laws lol. so i may go for the roof as well but curious what you think of it. for the roof i assume i can go to 25% as there is no law stating roof darkness allowed. i probably will also leave the windshield alone too..
KAVACA Ceramic IR Window (see the spec sheet below from their website) Tint 80 for the windshield is basically clear, has a TSER of 40 - which is huge at heat rejection/solar gain in the summer.

1674530047199.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,
We had the side windows and section above driver/front passenger tinted with 50% tints.
Did not bother with section above rear passengers/rear window area.
We keep car in garage at home and always try to park it in shade or covered car park when away from home.
If we need to leave it outside on a hot day - we just use the iPhone app to pre-cool the car 10 minutes before we return to it.
Cheers
Steve
9466C090-8F3A-401C-AD1B-666351FE5D09.jpeg

Reactions: Evpowerdan
funny in our area we have 70 at least listed as the clearest here...but then again could just be simplified due to our 35% law without Prescription...

View attachment 899067
35% on the front windshield would be dark and very dark at night driving. 70%-80% is ideal for front windshields. 15% for the rear windows and then 25% or 35% for the drivers and passenger doors. Not a huge difference in the TSER for all three of those tints.

Expel and IIumar have great warranties and shops nationwide that can do warranty work if needed. Probably doesn't matter - as never had an issue in the last 6 vehicles tinted.

I’ve read about some of the issues that can come with this. If you’ve done this, how do you like it?
I have all the windows except the windshield tinted with Expel Ceramic. The tint was installed by a professional shop. No, the tint didn't melt and there aren't any bubbles. I assume the people who had melting tint installed it themselves and used cheap tint. Rear window defrosters only get about 85F. My car in the Florida sun gets up to 140F in the direct sun. XPEL | Window Film | PRIME Automotive Window Tint | XR PLUS | XR | HP | CS

Reactions: Evpowerdan