Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting questions, costs, and pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, it’s a long story and I’ll leave out the majority of details. The short of it…my 21 M3LR white is in the body shop for about two months.
My rental is a 19 M3LR MSM….with tinted windows. I now think the MSM looks great with tint and quite frankly…kinda regret not getting that color. Anyway, I advised my wife I wanted to tint my white and she wasn’t sold on the idea. She is curious though, so….

Questions:
Anybody got pics of white with tint?
How much tint should I get for side and back windows only? Is it measured in percentage?
What can I expect to pay?
How durable? Once and done or does it need a redo every couple of years.
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

That website has plenty of pictures for different colors and %.

I have 35% tint all around except windshield and paid $360CAD no tax. You can pay more for ceramic tint but it’s only worth it if you live in a sunny place.

You should definitely get the back glass done in one piece and go to a place with lifetime warranty.

The percentage is the amount of light that can go through so lower percentage = darker. I didn’t go darker than 35% because the legal limit here is only 70% for the front windows.

Attachments

• 037187F9-7A06-44EB-9FEB-56D5B62AB1B4.jpeg
    037187F9-7A06-44EB-9FEB-56D5B62AB1B4.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 1,514
  • C4B2EA5E-0298-4E35-B390-FC283CC2B634.jpeg
    C4B2EA5E-0298-4E35-B390-FC283CC2B634.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 1,209
Does the ceramic help a lot with heat rejection over normal tinting?
It helps tremendously! I have had it on my last 4 vehicles. I had an appointment set up to tint my M3P’s windows on day 6 of ownership. On day 4 my wife and I took a ~250-mile round trip road trip in the vehicle, and she had to put a blanket over her legs because they were getting so hot from the sun through the windshield. Now the sun is not an issue at all.

It helps tremendously! I have had it on my last 4 vehicles. I had an appointment set up to tint my M3P’s windows on day 6 of ownership. On day 4 my wife and I took a ~250-mile round trip road trip in the vehicle, and she had to put a blanket over her legs because they were getting so hot from the sun through the windshield. Now the sun is not an issue at all.
Thanks! Just today I was driving in the sun and it was hot on my skin. I have waited too long for this. A lot of people in Michigan are doing a 20 % tint, but with ceramic I could probably stay on the legal side with just 35% tint. Maybe even a clear ceramic on the front windshield.

Thanks! Just today I was driving in the sun and it was hot on my skin. I have waited too long for this. A lot of people in Michigan are doing a 20 % tint, but with ceramic I could probably stay on the legal side with just 35% tint. Maybe even a clear ceramic on the front windshield.
Yes. With ceramic, the visible shade isn’t a significant factor in its ability to reflect IR light. Mostly it is about external aesthetics and your tolerance for a bright interior while inside the vehicle during the day.

• Love
Reactions: Utahken
On my last car, an ND MX-5, I had the legal tint installed (35% Xpel XR Plus ceramic) and the difference over non-ceramic was DRAMATIC. My Model 3P I owned for 20 minutes before I went to get it done in XP Plus again. This time in 20% for aesthetics (especially with white interior). There wasn't any noticable difference to me between the 2. The Xpel chart shows only 10% decrease in energy transmission to go lighter, and the same 96% IR rejection. Look at the difference in the XR vs the HP in the chart and you'll see the $ is worth it (unless it's for looks only)

Are most of you folks tinting your windshield? This will be my first tinted car and what I read is any tint is illegal in my home state of Indiana above the AS-1 line…but it seems maximum benefit comes from windshield tint.

Is it possible to get a non colored ceramic windshield tint to still get some of the benefit?

Are most of you folks tinting your windshield? This will be my first tinted car and what I read is any tint is illegal in my home state of Indiana above the AS-1 line…but it seems maximum benefit comes from windshield tint.

Is it possible to get a non colored ceramic windshield tint to still get some of the benefit?
I don't think you'd notice an 80% ceramic tinted windshield with the bare eye. If your interior is white you're in even better shape.