Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting questions, costs, and pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are most of you folks tinting your windshield? This will be my first tinted car and what I read is any tint is illegal in my home state of Indiana above the AS-1 line…but it seems maximum benefit comes from windshield tint.

Is it possible to get a non colored ceramic windshield tint to still get some of the benefit?
FWIW…I just talked to the local shop I was going to use. They indicated they do not tint Tesla windshields and do not recommend tinting of Tesla windshields…said something about sensitive electronics and not worth the risk.

Anybody hear of this or have stories or info to share?

Do they exclusively use metallized film?
Don’t know about film type….just called asking about ceramic and tinting and he quickly mentioned “no Tesla windshields”. He said some of the electronics near the windshield were very moisture sensitive and they use moisture to apply film…so he just avoids Tesla windshields because of the risk.

Website was impressive and they seemed reputable and average priced otherwise.

Don’t know about film type….just called asking about ceramic and tinting and he quickly mentioned “no Tesla windshields”. He said some of the electronics near the windshield were very moisture sensitive and they use moisture to apply film…so he just avoids Tesla windshields because of the risk.

Website was impressive and they seemed reputable and average priced otherwise.

He must have a long list of vehicle windshields they won't tint then. Most cars over $50k have all kinds of electronics on and around the windshield.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I know Clear Bra Indy does windshields...
Many places are afraid to work on Teslas even they aren't much, if at all, different than ICE vehicles (suspension, alignment, tint, etc). If they use a soak shield rope they won't have any water getting past glass level down into the electronics. If they don't use a rope, RUN!
Thanks for suggestion. I’m getting a quote from them today.

I have gotten multiple quotes from different detailing and tint/audio shops in Columbus, Ohio. The going rate for nano-ceramic is about $1700 on a Model 3. This is for 4 doors, windshield, "sunroof", and full back glass (60 inches).

The only way I have seen to get these prices in the $700 range is to use standard black (non-ceramic) tint, which offers almost nothing in terms of heat rejection; this pricing includes the half back glass (36 inches), and no windshield tint. In fact I have multiple quotes around $300 for just the windshield.

Each company offered 4 levels of tint (black, black ceramic, ceramic, nano-ceramic), and demoed on the "heat rejection cylinder."

I have gotten multiple quotes from different detailing and tint/audio shops in Columbus, Ohio. The going rate for nano-ceramic is about $1700 on a Model 3. This is for 4 doors, windshield, "sunroof", and full back glass (60 inches).

The only way I have seen to get these prices in the $700 range is to use standard black (non-ceramic) tint, which offers almost nothing in terms of heat rejection; this pricing includes the half back glass (36 inches), and no windshield tint. In fact I have multiple quotes around $300 for just the windshield.

Each company offered 4 levels of tint (black, black ceramic, ceramic, nano-ceramic), and demoed on the "heat rejection cylinder."
Spend $100 for charging and take a road trip to NC. I've been quoted $325-600 for ceramic on all windows and windshield with the back glass done in one piece.

But more realistically, I'd search outside of the immediate area. Maybe an adjacent city or town has cheaper prices?

FWIW…I just talked to the local shop I was going to use. They indicated they do not tint Tesla windshields and do not recommend tinting of Tesla windshields…said something about sensitive electronics and not worth the risk.

Anybody hear of this or have stories or info to share?
I called multiple places who would not work on Teslas. The three that I found to be reputable and do work on Teslas each talked about how labor intensive it is to work on Teslas, particularly the back glass. It was explained to me that the tint film comes in standard 36 inch sizes, so they need a special 60 inch order to get the Model 3's back glass or the Model S/Y's roof, or the Model X's windshield. Also, if they make a mistake they have to throw away a $300 piece of film and order another.

The three shops that do Teslas did not talk about the windshield being a problem for them. I did ask, and one place told me it was better to get the single-layer ceramic all the way around, than to pay for the multi-layer ceramic on all windows minus the windshield. I have not yet gotten the work done as I was hoping to pay <$1000 max for multi-layer ceramic. $1700+ is a bit steep for me, at the moment.

I called multiple places who would not work on Teslas. The three that I found to be reputable and do work on Teslas each talked about how labor intensive it is to work on Teslas, particularly the back glass. It was explained to me that the tint film comes in standard 36 inch sizes, so they need a special 60 inch order to get the Model 3's back glass or the Model S/Y's roof, or the Model X's windshield. Also, if they make a mistake they have to throw away a $300 piece of film and order another.

The three shops that do Teslas did not talk about the windshield being a problem for them. I did ask, and one place told me it was better to get the single-layer ceramic all the way around, than to pay for the multi-layer ceramic on all windows minus the windshield. I have not yet gotten the work done as I was hoping to pay <$1000 max for multi-layer ceramic. $1700+ is a bit steep for me, at the moment.
Def familiar with the usual four grades. I’m going with the ”second best”….the basic ceramic. Quote for my M3 was 330 (Panaflex ceramic, the one I preferred) at one place and 450 (Xpel XR prime ceramic) for the four basic windows. The first place won’t do windshields…second place will for $300 more. I didn’t get quotes for any parts of the roof But imagine that adds 300-450 more.

I read and read and read and at some point will just make a decision and guess I’ll do windows, windshield, and front part of sunroof….prob 800-900 in total. I’m doing 70% on windshield and 50% elsewhere.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Hey,

Considering 40% side and w/ or w/o the rear, I hope to see outside through the roof clearly.

I am wondering how the your Model 3 rear tinting looks like depending on the film %:
1) From outside
2) From inside (assuming that you have One-piece film)

Please share your pics here if you have!

I guess I'm fortunate to have a decent tint place up the street here in St. Augustine, FL which seems weird since it's just a small town.

They didn't say anything about the windshield and ended up having to do it twice as the first time it had a scratch through part of the tint.

I had all 4 windows and the windshield done and it was around $600 or $700. I don't recall exact amount and it was a cash transaction since I went a little darker. ;)

I didn't do the top or back. Top has something already and hasn't been a problem even in the 100+ heat the past couple weeks. There's not much exposure in the back and I didn't want to have to do the big section since 3/4 of it comes tinted already from the factory. I figured I'd wait and see how it went since I could always tint that up later. Still don't see a reason to do it after having the car 7 months now.

I guess I'm fortunate to have a decent tint place up the street here in St. Augustine, FL which seems weird since it's just a small town.

They didn't say anything about the windshield and ended up having to do it twice as the first time it had a scratch through part of the tint.

I had all 4 windows and the windshield done and it was around $600 or $700. I don't recall exact amount and it was a cash transaction since I went a little darker. ;)

I didn't do the top or back. Top has something already and hasn't been a problem even in the 100+ heat the past couple weeks. There's not much exposure in the back and I didn't want to have to do the big section since 3/4 of it comes tinted already from the factory. I figured I'd wait and see how it went since I could always tint that up later. Still don't see a reason to do it after having the car 7 months now.
Similar but my head still feels hot in the sun while driving and it’s not nearly as hot here in Indiana. I think I’ll do the top “sunroof” section only with 50%. Otherwise I don‘t care about the rear window.

Here's my 2 cents, please don't shoot the messenger.

I had Tesla mobile service come to adjust the headlights and change a rubber trim for my 2022 M3LR that I just picked up last week. The service tech was a real car guy (not just a Tesla aficionado) who himself owned a M3P. Anyway, I took the opportunity to pick his brain a little bit while he tinkered around.

1. Asked him about a constant 12V to install a dash cam and he said not in the 2022. There is absolutely no constant 12V and our 12V batteries are different even from the 2021 M3. It's a very small battery and showed it to me and it wouldn't die in a couple of years like the old one. He told me everything in this car is different.

2. Asked if I should get the Hannshow power frunk and he said not to. I told him I had seen the video on changing the frunk spring and the 2022 doesn't have that spring anymore and said that previous some M3s where people changed the springs had problem at high speeds since those weaker springs didn't have the strength to hold down the hood.

3. Asked him about tinting the back windows and he said not to. We spoke about if that caused the cracks and he said there was no proof, but even then suggested NOT to tint he back nor the front windshield. He told me just to tint the sides.

Other than that I didn't really ask him much more, since I'm not interested in doing anything else on the car. He did tell me not to waste my time on any videos since it's a 2022 (is all new) and people just haven't had a chance to post many modifications to it yet. I'm not really that adventurous anyway.

Just FYI

3. Asked him about tinting the back windows and he said not to. We spoke about if that caused the cracks and he said there was no proof, but even then suggested NOT to tint he back nor the front windshield. He told me just to tint the sides.
Interested to know why he recommends not to tint the front windshield. I can understand not doing the back and roof.

Interested to know why he recommends not to tint the front windshield. I can understand not doing the back and roof.
It wasn't something I was planning on doing so I didn't ask him why ... sorry. I did read somewhere that there are some electronics in the pillars (I think) and if any water gets in there it could damage them. Also, if water gets drips down into the dash electronics could cause a problem too. Again, I think a lot of people have tinted the front, so if you get a someone who knows what they're doing and uses those rope soaking things, I would think it's OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotteh
The shop that tinted my windows also said something to that effect for the front windshield. They are a very reputable shop, and if they wanted to make more money they would’ve told me to also tint the front because I wanted to. But this leads me to think, there really are technical reasons why they advise against it.

The shop that tinted my windows also said something to that effect for the front windshield. They are a very reputable shop, and if they wanted to make more money they would’ve told me to also tint the front because I wanted to. But this leads me to think, there really are technical reasons why they advise against it.
Which shop in LA? I have an appointment with Sunshield Glass. They will do the windshield for extra but highly advise not to do the roof due to cracking. I’m not even sure they will do it. They do a ton of Tesla’s and are booked up for the next few weeks. I’m more interested in the back window. Although I think it will look bad if not done in once piece with roof. I’m sorta thinking I might only do the sides now.

What did you end up doing?