Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting ruined my Door....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my front 2 windows tinted a week or so ago. After a week a couple bubbles never went away so I had 1 window redone. When leaving I noticed a chip in my exterior trim, which I kinda blew off because what can you do?? I just touch it with a permanent marker and it hide it OK, not great but that's minor compared to what they did to the door.. I guess when you're putting tint on you need some tool to fold over the interior window trim.. I saw these dents and the owner said, "they will be out in a couple hours, don't worry". So I said ok and left.. I emailed him twice about them now telling him they're still there, 24 hours later now.. Do I need to order a new door now or do you think they will still come out? I'm sick about it and it really pisses me off along with the trim..

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 738
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 625
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 623
The mark on the exterior trim is because they didn't do it right. They tricked the car to raise the window then shut the door. Oh man that stuff would bug the hell out of me. Tesla replaced my exterior trim but mine was from the car not lowering the window when door opened. Its was a pretty common thing there was a thread on it maybe yours did it too maybe it wasn't the tint installers.

I know this is bugging you, but is it really worth the stress of fighting the tint installer to pay for new door panels, or to pay for the panels out of pocket yourself?

believe me, I am a bit ocd about my cars, but I also accept that we won't keep our cars in showroom condition too. Those are tiny little indentations on your interior, which is going to get scuffed up when people start getting in/out of your car and kicking panels with their shoes or dragging their backpack across your interior door/dash panels. Drives me nuts when my kids get in with their backpacks and I see them scrape the pack into the panel in front of them!!!! I tell them over and over, but who listens to me? hahaha

Now, if the installer had dinged my exterior then I'd ask him to pay for a dentless repair job, but I wouldn't demand the guy pay for new door panels.

but do what you gotta do to sleep well at night!

I know this is bugging you, but is it really worth the stress of fighting the tint installer to pay for new door panels, or to pay for the panels out of pocket yourself?

believe me, I am a bit ocd about my cars, but I also accept that we won't keep our cars in showroom condition too. Those are tiny little indentations on your interior, which is going to get scuffed up when people start getting in/out of your car and kicking panels with their shoes or dragging their backpack across your interior door/dash panels. Drives me nuts when my kids get in with their backpacks and I see them scrape the pack into the panel in front of them!!!! I tell them over and over, but who listens to me? hahaha

Now, if the installer had dinged my exterior then I'd ask him to pay for a dentless repair job, but I wouldn't demand the guy pay for new door panels.

but do what you gotta do to sleep well at night!
Absolutely worth it, this isn't on the bottom of the door panel, it's on the top where you rest your arm and can see every time you drive the car.. If that doesn't bother you, we are very different people. Mostly on a brand new 70k car, all due to negligence.

The hair dryer is helping.. The largest one isn't out yet still, not sure if I will ever get that one out.. Makes me sick.

Reactions: Leeclanual
well I don't rest my arm on the top of the door panel. ;)

But I get it. Like I said, do what you gotta do to sleep comfortably. This is obviously bugging you so get it fixed. Hopefully a full day in the sun can cure it too.

I took a car in for some work, and as soon as I dropped into the driver seat I noticed a small scratch in the black leather door panel, near the handle. The scratch was only 1/2 inch, but being a smooth leather door panel it was noticeable to me. The owner apologized and immediately offered to make things right. He told me he'd pay for new parts, but a new door panel was going to cost him over $500 dollars. He was still willing to pay for it, but I felt a $500+ dollar hit on his small business was excessive for this tiny scratch, so we came up with another solution. He owned the same car as me and had removed his door panels for carbon fiber bits. He offered to give me his door panels, and I had them covered in a faux suede which was fine with me because I was already toying with the idea of covering the door panels to match my headliner. So he gave me his door panels which could have been sold on eBay for over $200, and I payed to have them covered in the faux suede. I tucked my original door panels into storage for the next owner, if I ever sell the car, and some future owner may not even notice the small scratch, but with me knowing it's there I was always going to focus my eyes on it.

So you and I aren't all that different. We both love our cars. I stated earlier I am ocd about my cars, but I'm a little more relaxed about the family haulers than I am about my toy car. Having kids has forced me to accept I can't keep all my cars immaculate, so I just keep them away from one. hahahah

2C28B042-B67C-4366-818D-F3505FF44D62.jpeg
The mark on the exterior trim is because they didn't do it right. They tricked the car to raise the window then shut the door. Oh man that stuff would bug the hell out of me. Tesla replaced my exterior trim but mine was from the car not lowering the window when door opened. Its was a pretty common thing there was a thread on it maybe yours did it too maybe it wasn't the tint installers.
Hello Tony, same thing with me after window tinting, the passenger door trip ruined because window is acting as if the odor is closed and raising all the way up and upon closing scratched the outside trim. Scheduled mobile appointment. Did they replace your trim after resetting your window?
F4209F9F-9C2C-43C8-810A-24F24D54B2BF.jpeg

this is how to reset the window(s) if you haven't already:
  • Press the window down button and hold for 10 seconds.
  • Press the window up button and hold for 10 seconds.
  • Press the window down button and hold for 10 seconds if needed.

First question to ask any tint shop is "are you familiar with indexing windows" - if they say no or give you questioning look, go somewhere else. Indexing windows have been around for a long time - Vettes, Z cars, etc.
I've been tinting windows for over 20 years, competed and ranked in top 20 installers in 2006 and 2016. I've tinted nearly 500 Teslas, as well as hundreds of Corvettes and every other car you can probably think of... I have never heard of the term "indexing" windows. Please explain? Maybe I know the process but know it under a different term?

I've been tinting windows for over 20 years, competed and ranked in top 20 installers in 2006 and 2016. I've tinted nearly 500 Teslas, as well as hundreds of Corvettes and every other car you can probably think of... I have never heard of the term "indexing" windows. Please explain? Maybe I know the process but know it under a different term?

OK, I just Googled that term. lol. All it means it tricking the car to think the door is closed either by clicking the door tumbler or disconnecting the door pin switch on certain vehicles. When the car "thinks" the door is closed the window shifts up, allowing the installer to tint the window correctly. I had no idea it had an official name for that little trick!

Nearly all newer vehicles within the last 10 years with frameless door glass have this feature. Frameless door glass is when you roll the window down and there isn't any framework around the glass above the door panel. It is most common with 2 door vehicles....and ALL TESLAS :)

OK, I just Googled that term. lol. All it means it tricking the car to think the door is closed either by clicking the door tumbler or disconnecting the door pin switch on certain vehicles. When the car "thinks" the door is closed the window shifts up, allowing the installer to tint the window correctly. I had no idea it had an official name for that little trick!

Nearly all newer vehicles within the last 10 years with frameless door glass have this feature. Frameless door glass is when you roll the window down and there isn't any framework around the glass above the door panel. It is most common with 2 door vehicles....and ALL TESLAS :)
I could have been more clear - I was just repeating a term someone mentioned to me years ago. Google is great (once you get past all the Microsoft Windows references) and I like this narrative, especially the last two sentences:

Auto-indexing windows are a frequently used term in car tinting business. Some new cars like Mustangs, Corvettes and Chevrolet have auto indexing windows and if you’re applying window tint yourself you need to take it into account. Such auto adjusting windows can ruin your newly applied tinting film so make sure to educate yourself on how to properly apply tint to such cars. Auto indexing windows are basically driver and passenger side windows that automatically roll down when you open your doors, and roll back up when you close them to create a water-tight seal. When you tint the windows on your car they are supposed to stay up for at least two days so it doesn’t ruin the tinting film. Unless you don’t need to drive your car for a few days after tinting, there’s a few tricks you can use. One such trick for Corvette for example is to flip the latch mechanism to trick the window going up fully. A car tinting business will very likely know the exact process required to make sure your windows don’t auto-index so be sure to consult with them beforehand. It’s just one of the reasons why you may want to think about leaving window tinting to professionals. While it may cost a bit more you can ensure it’ll be done professionally by people who are experienced with the process.

Source: Applying Tinting Film to Auto-Indexing Windows - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

Window Tint place also ruined my upper bright trim. This trim piece is something you can't just polish away so the entire piece needs to be replaced. I ended up making a mobile service appointment to get it replaced. Such a pain in the butt.

P.S. This part is rare and usually takes about 1-2 months to order.

Parts Outstanding
  1. MY UPPER BRIGHT TRIM CAP LH
    Part #: 1495730-00-A
    Ship Date: October 8, 2020
    Scheduled Delivery: October 18, 2020

Attachments

• IMG_1321 (1).jpg
    IMG_1321 (1).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 554