Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be picking up a model 3 dual motor this week and I was wondering about getting the back window fully tinted or just half way down. Also wondering about the sun roof also. I live in Santa Cruz California. Thank you for any feedback

The tint on the roof in the new Model 3 is REALLY dark to start with. Like, darker than I would ever tint it. I definitely would not add more to it- apply 35 and I don't know if you. would see the sun. At stock tint, night is basically pitch black. I'm continually disappointed with this.

I had mine tinted with 35% ceramic, did the back window just where is visible in the tint rear mirror and you can see a near opaque line where the factory tint starts.

My advice would be partially tinting the rear glass, leave the top alone.

I will be picking up a model 3 dual motor this week and I was wondering about getting the back window fully tinted or just half way down. Also wondering about the sun roof also. I live in Santa Cruz California. Thank you for any feedback
The shop that did my car only does the rear half of the top/back window. They said that's how they do all the Tesla's.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
The tint on the roof in the new Model 3 is REALLY dark to start with. Like, darker than I would ever tint it. I definitely would not add more to it- apply 35 and I don't know if you. would see the sun. At stock tint, night is basically pitch black. I'm continually disappointed with this.

I had mine tinted with 35% ceramic, did the back window just where is visible in the tint rear mirror and you can see a near opaque line where the factory tint starts.

My advice would be partially tinting the rear glass, leave the top alone.
Thank you for your input

Reactions: Pseudofinn
I think you should tint the whole back window in one piece. I think you'll see the cutoff line if you don't and may have regrets. I faced that dilemma too and ponied up the extra cash to do a one piece back window at 35% and glad I did. There's no visibility issues with 35%.

Reactions: TBrownTX and Benzz
I think you should tint the whole back window in one piece. I think you'll see the cutoff line if you don't and may have regrets. I faced that dilemma too and ponied up the extra cash to do a one piece back window at 35% and glad I did. There's no visibility issues with 35%.

Right, no visibility issues- with yours. What year is your 3? I wonder if you might be surprised to find that the new ones are quite dark in 2022. The guy that tinted mine suggested exactly what you say, I told him I had concerns with how dark the stock roof is. He kept assuring me that he's done a LOT of Model 3s it wouldn't be a problem until I asked him to have a look at it. He was shocked at how dark it was and said, yeah- he wouldn't touch it if it was his. This on top of the fact that he was trying to convince me to go darker all around. The roof is too dark out of the factory to put anything on it. The good news is that it blocks heat with whatever they coated it in.

I see the cutoff, only when I turn around and look at it. I'd settle for seeing that every now and then instead of not seeing jack sh¡t out of my roof.

Look at the roof and think about it. I dislike every day how dark the roof is, and I haven't done anything to it. YMMV

I have a '21. Just want to clarify, I only tinted the back window and not the roof because of the added cost. My back window (like I assume all other 3's) has a gradient of the darkness you mentioned which transitions to no darkness at all. Personally, I find no visibility issue looking out the back window with 35% tint on since I find the majority of subjects I'm viewing to fall into the realm of 'no darkness'. Thus the 35% tint layer works out great for me. The tint shop did also mention they don't like the look of the line when they cut the tint off at the darkness gradient.

Reactions: Benzz