Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a Tesla Y on order.

I would like to match the factory window tinting to the front driver and passenger side windows, and to the rear (trunk) windshield.

Would a 20% ceramic tint match the other windows?

I appreciate your help.

I had Xpel ceramic+ added to my two front windows. I just told my tint guy “match the rears”. He used a tint meter and it came out perfect.

301B906D-3FC2-44B4-9EC2-9E4CFAF7DCB3.jpeg

Upvote 0
Yes, a 20% ceramic tint would match the other windows. Ceramic tints are known for their unmatched heat and glare protection, as well as improved privacy from outside observers. It is also highly durable and can last up to 10 years with proper care. Please note that the exact shade may vary depending on the manufacturer of your window tints. We recommend contacting the manufacturer to ensure a uniform look across your windows.

Cheers,
Joseph
From Precision Auto Styling Georgia

Upvote 0
How have folks felt visibility is with the darker tints? My S has Llumar CTX 55% around and 80% windshield. I can see out of it great.

Our 3 has Xpel 45% around and 80% windshield. At night with the auto dimming mirrors it becomes too dark. I end up just seeing the lights and can’t make out the car anymore nor the lines of the road (in the mirror).

I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting 50% up front and 80% everywhere else. I have white seats, so I know from outside it looks bright, but I’m fine with that.

F7282DE0-3673-48B1-A6C5-20F5658C9D4C.jpeg

Upvote 0
How have folks felt visibility is with the darker tints? My S has Llumar CTX 55% around and 80% windshield. I can see out of it great.

Our 3 has Xpel 45% around and 80% windshield. At night with the auto dimming mirrors it becomes too dark. I end up just seeing the lights and can’t make out the car anymore nor the lines of the road (in the mirror).

I was thinking of splitting the difference and getting 50% up front and 80% everywhere else. I have white seats, so I know from outside it looks bright, but I’m fine with that.

I've got 50% ceramic on my windshield and I can see fine at night.
I've got 20% on my front windows (to match the rear windows), and that would be waaay too dark on the windshield for me.

Upvote 0
A couple of items id like to ask for the "forum experts" to chime in.

1. Is it worth to pay extra for the "Double" Ceramic? Or is that a gimmick? Only about 100 additional for side front windows and windshield. The local shop said the double ceramic has better visibility and less glare at the same percent (I am matching the rear windows up front 20%). They also said I can put a double ceramic on my windshield to reduce UV damage but not tint it visibly (Which I don't want.. tint on windshield).

2. Front protection: the Pros seem infinite(No chips mainly) ......but no Cons were mentioned by the local shop. $2700 for Front bumper, hood, front side panels and side mirrors seems like a negative but other than price any reason to not add the clear protective film? Will it make my Red Model Y look weird after some time or it stays invisible years later? I just dont want to notice that "protection" in a year or two because of fade or have it damage the paint if I ever decide to remove it. I hope the local shop is right but would be nice to hear a second oppinion.

Thanks
2023 RMYP

Upvote 0
A couple of items id like to ask for the "forum experts" to chime in.

1. Is it worth to pay extra for the "Double" Ceramic? Or is that a gimmick? Only about 100 additional for side front windows and windshield. The local shop said the double ceramic has better visibility and less glare at the same percent (I am matching the rear windows up front 20%). They also said I can put a double ceramic on my windshield to reduce UV damage but not tint it visibly (Which I don't want.. tint on windshield).

2. Front protection: the Pros seem infinite(No chips mainly) ......but no Cons were mentioned by the local shop. $2700 for Front bumper, hood, front side panels and side mirrors seems like a negative but other than price any reason to not add the clear protective film? Will it make my Red Model Y look weird after some time or it stays invisible years later? I just dont want to notice that "protection" in a year or two because of fade or have it damage the paint if I ever decide to remove it. I hope the local shop is right but would be nice to hear a second oppinion.

Thanks
2023 RMYP
1. I've never heard of "double" ceramic. What do they mean? What brand of film are they using?

2. What brand of PPF are they using?

Reactions: Premiertint
Upvote 0
The place I plan to use in Michigan indicated they use: XPEL That hopefully means something to someone here :)
They said "Double Ceramic Tint" is thicker but results in less glare and better see-through?
XPEL is good. When XPEL is installed well with wrapped edges, you won't see any downside really on a red car. I'm sure others can contribute more.

What brand is the window tinting film?

Upvote 0
Hello, I have a Tesla Y on order.

I would like to match the factory window tinting to the front driver and passenger side windows, and to the rear (trunk) windshield.

Would a 20% ceramic tint match the other windows?

I appreciate your help.
Is it not better to do Xpel ceramic tint on all four windows for heat protection? Just curious as my MYP (black/black) delivery date is in two days, 2/11.

Upvote 0
Is it not better to do Xpel ceramic tint on all four windows for heat protection? Just curious as my MYP (black/black) delivery date is in two days, 2/11.
Yes, I did 70% windshield, rear doors and rear hatch and 20% front doors. I had 30% front doors but with white car and white interior and the bright screen, it was still like a spotlight on the front passengers at night so went to 20% front sides.

Reactions: freed0m
Upvote 0