Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to "visit" several Model S already tinted. Am in Palm Beach area but will travel a little.

I am trying to choose between window tints and looking to see some installed. I have two miniature schnauzers and want to be able to leave them in the car with a/c running for an hour when shopping at the grocery store.

My primary exposure is limited - I am from Chicago. But now down here more than there ( like right now).

Do not want really obvious dark windows. Concerned about color, I.e. Do some read black (HuperOptikFilm Optik seems very dark), others more green (Photosync light blue over green glass in pictures seems very green) and others dark bronze ( crystalline).

And then am concerned about performance: scratch resistance and temp control. Without tint my side windows are warm to the touch, the windshield and panorama roof cool. But the dash is hot.so thinking of windshield, side windows and hatch but not sure of pano.

Thanks.
MS Pearl : p85d pearl white, black interior, pano roof.

Looking to "visit" several Model S already tinted. Am in Palm Beach area but will travel a little.

I am trying to choose between window tints and looking to see some installed. I have two miniature schnauzers and want to be able to leave them in the car with a/c running for an hour when shopping at the grocery store.

My primary exposure is limited - I am from Chicago. But now down here more than there ( like right now).

Do not want really obvious dark windows. Concerned about color, I.e. Do some read black (HuperOptikFilm Optik seems very dark), others more green (Photosync light blue over green glass in pictures seems very green) and others dark bronze ( crystalline).

And then am concerned about performance: scratch resistance and temp control. Without tint my side windows are warm to the touch, the windshield and panorama roof cool. But the dash is hot.so thinking of windshield, side windows and hatch but not sure of pano.

Thanks.
MS Pearl : p85d pearl white, black interior, pano roof.

I had mine done at the Tesla Store in Dania Beach. They have two options, one is a medium tint and the other is darker. I got the dark tint and you can see very little when looking in the windows, so from what you said, perhaps consider Tesla's medium tint option.

Tesla did excellent work, and if you are interested in taking a look at mine, just let me know.

It's hard to tell "tint tint" by looking at pictures. Cameras usually do an auto-color correction and computer monitors are rarely calibrated. Plus, even in person, car color, lighting, and even background will make a large perceptual difference. For instance, my tint looks darker on a cloudy day.

I have PhotoSync on my Dolphin gray. 75 front, 55 sides, 45 rear. I do think slightly darker tints look good on white and black cars. It doesn't look green at all. It was done by http://www.autosupershield.com/ in Boca, not too far from you.

I live in downtown Fort Lauderdale. If you would like to see it, let me know.

not legal to leave pet or kids in the car in Florida with or with out air

Hmmm, I would like to see your reference for this. I know of no statewide law that prohibits leaving pets in cars.

Regardless, I hope the OP is aware Teslas shut the A/C off after 30 minutes unless you start it again with the app.

Last edited:
While it may not be a law on the books, it is an ethical question that many in Florida are against. Do not be surprised if there are police waiting at your car, some angry people waiting for you, or at worst, a popped window or door lock, if you leave your beloved dog in the car. Think about it. The Tesla for all intents and purposes is silent. People see a dog in a locked, closed windowed car. They don't hear any engine running so even if the A/C stayed on past 30 minutes, the untrained ear will not hear the electric motor buzzing away. For me personally, leave the dog at home and not "look" for confrontation. FWIW.

While Larry is technically correct (as usual), I've got to side with PhinFL on this one. I KNOW of a number of times people have called the police on folks for leaving their dogs in their cars. And again, there's no reason to take them to the grocery store. They lack opposable thumbs and can't pick out their own food anyway! :)

While it may not be a law on the books, it is an ethical question that many in Florida are against. Do not be surprised if there are police waiting at your car, some angry people waiting for you, or at worst, a popped window or door lock, if you leave your beloved dog in the car. Think about it. The Tesla for all intents and purposes is silent. People see a dog in a locked, closed windowed car. They don't hear any engine running so even if the A/C stayed on past 30 minutes, the untrained ear will not hear the electric motor buzzing away. For me personally, leave the dog at home and not "look" for confrontation. FWIW.

While Larry is technically correct (as usual), I've got to side with PhinFL on this one. I KNOW of a number of times people have called the police on folks for leaving their dogs in their cars. And again, there's no reason to take them to the grocery store. They lack opposable thumbs and can't pick out their own food anyway! :)

Sorry if my posting made it sound as if I was taking a position one way or another.

Personally I wouldn't allow an animal in my Model S even with supervision.

...but I won't allow humans in my car with beverages either. :biggrin:

Larry

Back to the window tinting subject. I am about to choose tinting next week when my car goes off to Pete for his ministrations. All I want to do is reduce glare, heat transfer and UV, but I do not want to limit night vision. I have never before done tinting., but I detest the dark tints I often see because i lose visibility. I do have teh Tesla-supplied screens for the roof and rear window, which are excellent IMHO.

Do some of you have advice? I live in South Florida, so the sun is a major factor.

Back to the window tinting subject. I am about to choose tinting next week when my car goes off to Pete for his ministrations. All I want to do is reduce glare, heat transfer and UV, but I do not want to limit night vision. I have never before done tinting., but I detest the dark tints I often see because i lose visibility. I do have teh Tesla-supplied screens for the roof and rear window, which are excellent IMHO.

Do some of you have advice? I live in South Florida, so the sun is a major factor.
Hi jbcarioca - let us know what tint you decide on, once you've consulted with Pete. Obrigado!

I'll put another vote in for Photosync tints. If anything there seems to be a very slight blueish color to them but they are really clear and especially so at night. I had SunTek's on my 2013 S85 and they had a noticeable smearing effect at night when viewing any lights through them. I also used Auto SuperShield in Boca and they did a PPF bra at the same time on my P85D.

Hi JC,

I have 3M Crystalline at 70% all around, side windows, hatch and windshield.

It is very effective at blocking solar heat load, but looks like the car has it's original minimal factory tint.

Night vision is very good.

As Jeff described in the case of Photosync, polarized sunglasses will interact with the 3M Crystalline tint giving a false color at certain viewing angles.

Larry