Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Has anyone done it on their MS? I am parking mostly outdoor on daily basis, so heat resistance film could really come in handy in my case. Also, i am more towards choosing 45%VLT ones (just for the look) than the clear ones. Could anyone please advise? would be nice to see some pictures too! Thanks!

i did 3m Crystalline at Sunshine (there was a slightly discounted price on facebook for MS owners) for $5800 including pano roof...

I did 100% wind shield, everything else 70%. I wish i did 40% on the back now. Doing 70% in the front windows is illegal (so is parking on the side of most streets) but do they enforce it?

I don't park outside, but i think you can google some info on the cyrstalline where people show the temperature of cars side by side.. I think after 1 hour, either film will make a difference (personal opinion). And people don't get in trouble cause the cops don't have a machien to check you, but you might have to peel it off for your 6-7 year check up.

I don't park outside, but i think you can google some info on the cyrstalline where people show the temperature of cars side by side.. I think after 1 hour, either film will make a difference (personal opinion). And people don't get in trouble cause the cops don't have a machien to check you, but you might have to peel it off for your 6-7 year check up.

thanks, good pick! i just checked on youtube, looks like cyrstalline is doing pretty crazy on heat resistance
also, i saw a few people mentioning about ceramic film, is cyrstalline ceramic film?
have you been choosing between choices ?

- - - Updated - - -

police may not enforce it. However, the only question is when one is involved with a traffic accident. With the illegal items on the vehicle, one may not be able to claim, or claim in full.
right, that's indeed something to be concerned about. hm..

Nah, its a bit of math. So to be legal the windshield has to let at least 70%. You start at 80%, if you apply something that is 90% light transmittance, your ratio becomes 80*0.9, which is 72%, thus stilll above the legal requirement of 70%.

Guys, there IS a legal tint limit in Hong Kong. I had my front windshield, front side windows, back side windows and back window tinted accordingly by a shop in Yuen Long with 3M stuff. They have a light meter there and test it and write the readings on a piece of paper for you to call the Transport Dept and book an appointment (takes them 20mins) and they will issue you a piece of paper to keep on your car to show any law enforcement officers if they challenge the legality of your tint.

Worth it in my opinion when I had it done on my RX450H. It noticeably cooled down the interior while driving when sun is cooking my forearm or when I come back to a parked car in the sun. It'll save your leather/plastic interior on the long run too (LOL disclaimer I don't work for a window tinting shop; just want to let people know the facts from rumors in HK).

- - - Updated - - -

Here's pics of my RX450h getting 3M in the front, R-film in the back. I also went over kill and did removable window shades on all the back windows lol keeps my 2 year old happy when stuck in traffic in the sun. Sorry, new here so I'm not sure if I post the contact and name of the shop will violate forum rules on advertising. If you want details, message me.

10603753_1591334721149607_2223635291031724088_n.jpg
11391366_1591334707816275_2563647443508808297_n.jpg