Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I had all my rear windows tinted darker. Front sides tinted to the legal level for California. I love them. Great for keeping the heat down. Also a level of security for the rear. Oh yeah, and it looks cool. $772.50 for the whole deal. Took a few hours. I'm in NorCal. Had it done in Novato in Marin County. You can kinda see it in my avatar. Let me know if you would like more info.

I tinted mine to match the back windows - slightly darker than the legal limit. I was ticketed once, right after getting them, but was pulled over for something else. It was a 'fix-it' ticket, but I kept the tints and paid the fine.

Tinting is essential. Driving in the sun for more than 15 minutes without tints is annoying.

Tinted my wife's S90D to 35 all around. 35 is legal limit for rear windows in VA but didn't want different shade between front and back windows. IMHO, tinting not only cools car but makes it look much better. I did the same on my current car and haven't had any issues. On my previous car, I did 20 and got pulled over a few times.

Reactions: HabitualUser
Yes, I had all my rear windows tinted darker. Front sides tinted to the legal level for California. I love them. Great for keeping the heat down. Also a level of security for the rear. Oh yeah, and it looks cool. $772.50 for the whole deal. Took a few hours. I'm in NorCal. Had it done in Novato in Marin County. You can kinda see it in my avatar. Let me know if you would like more info.

but the legal limit in CA is no tints in the front at all.. lol

I've been reading up on various tinting threads, I should be getting my 2013 P85 CPO in about 2 weeks and definitely want to tint the windows, but I would like to know why everyone goes for the more expensive tints:

photosync, ceraluxe or crystaline...

I've called a couple of places and they tell me the "basic" brand that has a lifetime warranty is good enough. Is there really that much of a difference?

Thanks Blu Zap. Any problems w/ the install? Did you use 3M tinting or another brand?
TIA
Hi, the tint went fine and has been great for 2 1/2 years now. They used Pinnacle Ceramic series window tint by Formula One. The installer is a reputable outfit, so I went with their product recommendation. Very pleased with performance, look and feel. (not easily scratched.)

but the legal limit in CA is no tints in the front at all.. lol
Actually we can go with a little darker than the Tesla factory tint on the front side windows. We put 80 on there. Not really noticeable until you compare to another factory tinted car. So a little darker, but still legal. The rear windows we used 15. That has worked out great. Can still see out at night. Another option was "limo" at 5. Way too dark.

I've been reading up on various tinting threads, I should be getting my 2013 P85 CPO in about 2 weeks and definitely want to tint the windows, but I would like to know why everyone goes for the more expensive tints:

photosync, ceraluxe or crystaline...

I've called a couple of places and they tell me the "basic" brand that has a lifetime warranty is good enough. Is there really that much of a difference?

My experience with inexpensive tints in previous vehicles is that they will discolor over time. The sunlight actually fades them to their more primary color. For example, a great looking grey tint turned purple in a couple of years. Also inexpensive materials are not as sturdy. They are more susceptible to scratch and rubbing. There is a reason some tints cost more. Shop around and check it out, as you are doing. Good luck!

Hi, the tint went fine and has been great for 2 1/2 years now. They used Pinnacle Ceramic series window tint by Formula One. The installer is a reputable outfit, so I went with their product recommendation. Very pleased with performance, look and feel. (not easily scratched.)

Actually we can go with a little darker than the Tesla factory tint on the front side windows. We put 80 on there. Not really noticeable until you compare to another factory tinted car. So a little darker, but still legal. The rear windows we used 15. That has worked out great. Can still see out at night. Another option was "limo" at 5. Way too dark.

it is simple math, most windows are already 70% from factory which is the legal limit in CA, adding on a 80% film would make it 56% however i doubt you will ever get pulled over by a cop unless they were looking for a reason to pull you over but i wouldn't give others false information.

the model s front windscreen is hard to tint with 3m crystaline because its thicker product. I had an installer try 3x to get it right and he could not get it right so we were refunded. The back and sides were perfect. be aware the back window with the thick defrost lines and the tint can cause some distortion at night because the angle of the rear window,

• Disagree
Reactions: grayguy
it is simple math, most windows are already 70% from factory which is the legal limit in CA, adding on a 80% film would make it 56% however i doubt you will ever get pulled over by a cop unless they were looking for a reason to pull you over but i wouldn't give others false information.
I am no expert. So I rely on those who are. The reputable installer says California Legal. I believe him. BTW, never an issue with the law. Glad to pass that along.

Did anyone tint their windshield? I got 3M crystaline 90 installed but the film ended about 1 inch from the bottom of the windshield, leaving a strio of clear. Is that normal? The 3M 90 is almost completely clear so is not super obvious but it still bugs me. Did your windshield tint extent all the way to be bottom? Should I get this redone?

I just got Llumar ceramic 35% on sides, back, and pano roof. 70% 3M Crystalline on front windshield. Makes a big difference in the sun.

You should not have visible seams. Have your installer fix it.

Yeah, I will call him about that tomorrow. The sides seems pretty ok except for a few spec of lint/dirt trapped between film and glass, I'll wait a couple of days to see if they are still visible. The windshield is not done well in my opinion, there is an inch gap at the bottom and the cuts on the sides are ragged. I'll ask him if he is confident in a redo to give him that option or a refund, maybe one of his less skilled staff did it.

I got 3M Crystaline 70 on all, 90 on windshield, nothing in glass roof.