Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paid about $450 in the SF Bay Area at Auto Image, which is considered one fo the better places for Tesla tinting. Didn't get the windshield tinted, I know people do it but I can't imagine doing anything to impair my forward viewing even slightly.

$700 for Spectra Photosync 35% at Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos. 2 front windows, 2 back windows, 2 small quarter windows, back window. They do 70% on windshield, but I passed on that -- too hard to explain to the wife.
It's immaculate, looks great and helps keep the car cool. Not sure if that's a good price, but I'm happy with it.
From my past experience, the sub-$400 tints are low quality and will fog & bubble in a few years.

My midnight silver metallic S70D was tinted with Suntek CXP 35 (all windows). I liked it, but there were times when it was not as dark as I'd like it to be. I recently sold that car and bought a new Deep Blue Metallic S75D. I'm thinking about going with Suntek CXP 25 or 18 on all windows. Does anyone have any pictures of Suntek CXP 25 or Suntek CXP 18 on their Tesla. Deep Blue preferred.

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: Jjadmd
Photosync 35/75 has worked well for the last two cars. It's not cheap but it is effective. The windshield alone was $400 and was worth every penny as it cut glare noticeably (and heat, too). Total job was $1100 iirc.

Whatever tint you get, do consider C-Bond as part of the process. At least for the rear triangles and especially if you are in the Bay Area, given the spate of break-ins up there

My midnight silver metallic S70D was tinted with Suntek CXP 35 (all windows). I liked it, but there were times when it was not as dark as I'd like it to be. I recently sold that car and bought a new Deep Blue Metallic S75D. I'm thinking about going with Suntek CXP 25 or 18 on all windows. Does anyone have any pictures of Suntek CXP 25 or Suntek CXP 18 on their Tesla. Deep Blue preferred.

Thanks!

Hey Jjadmd, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

That I sold my S70D? I did.
That I bought an S75D? I did.
That the tint on my S70D was Suntek CXP 35? It was.
That I liked it, but I found it to be too light? I do.
That I'm thinking about going with CXP 25 or 18? I am.
That I'm requesting pictures of others that used Suntek CXP 25 or CXP 18? I am.
That I said, "Thanks!"? I did.

My recommendation is to look into the Ceramic based films. Most nation wide manufacturers have a ceramic based line. You didn't buy that wonderful car and want to put on mid-line/average quality film. We use Llumar Ceramic CTX. The 3M Crystaline film is very good too and have heard good things. Both films are very good. (not familiar with Spectra Photosync brand.)

The ceramic component in the film blocks out more heat than standard type films. Furthermore, the darker the shade of film, the more heat and visible light that gets blocked out. Whichever shade you choose the price is the same. Price is based on the amount of windows tinted.

Llumar also makes a Clear Ceramic film that we install on the front windshield. Installed correctly, the film is unnoticeable. The big benefit to tinting the front windshield, is the heat rejection. It blocks up to 43% of the heat and 100% UV Rays A & B. . The Tesla folks like that because it takes less energy to cool down the car and makes direct sunlight more tolerable.

We charge $175 for the clear, front windshield. The side windows and back is $375 in the ceramic.. All tinted, less panorama roof, is $550 at Transhine.

$700 for Spectra Photosync 35% at Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos. 2 front windows, 2 back windows, 2 small quarter windows, back window. They do 70% on windshield, but I passed on that -- too hard to explain to the wife.
It's immaculate, looks great and helps keep the car cool. Not sure if that's a good price, but I'm happy with it.
From my past experience, the sub-$400 tints are low quality and will fog & bubble in a few years.

I too have Spectra Photosync done. 35% everything and 75 on windshield. It costed a pretty penny for our 3 Model Ss and MX. But it's worked wonders to keeping the car cool during those triple digit summers. I definitely use my AC lot less with it. I used to do Huper on my ICEs, but have since switched to Photosync as it is noticeably better in keeping my car cool. I'm in the Bay, so I used Premier and they have an excellent following with Teslas and exotics. Everytime I'm there it's like a candy store for car lovers.

Paid about $450 in the SF Bay Area at Auto Image, which is considered one fo the better places for Tesla tinting. Didn't get the windshield tinted, I know people do it but I can't imagine doing anything to impair my forward viewing even slightly.
you would get the windshield tinted 70% with a high quality ceramic heat rejecting tint. it makes the car so much cooler knocking down the amount of heat that comes in from windshield and looks invisible

Great feedback here, I'm a newbie. Related question, has anyone heard of window tinting impacting the seal of your doors? The guy at the SC recommended I not tint the windows because it invalidates the warranty for any air/sealing problems (adding film between the window and the door seal). He said it was uncommon, but he'd seen it a few times.

Great feedback here, I'm a newbie. Related question, has anyone heard of window tinting impacting the seal of your doors? The guy at the SC recommended I not tint the windows because it invalidates the warranty for any air/sealing problems (adding film between the window and the door seal). He said it was uncommon, but he'd seen it a few times.
I have never heard such a thing, from Tesla or other car brand dealership employees.

What about affecting the GPS or any rear window antennas if Ceramic tint is placed on Rear Window?
I’m positive my cell reception and google maps weren’t working as well after getting the tint.
It took google maps a few seconds longer than usual to find my exact location and my data speeds were much slower inside the car than outside. All the windows except sun roof we’re tinted.

Still worth it though.

3m-automotive-window-film-crystalline-tint-levels-desktop-graphic.jpg

we went with 40 on all windows and 70 on the windshield and rear windows.