Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window track adjustment for tightness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geordi

Mr Fusion V.1
Jun 14, 2022
Connecticut
The driver's window on my 2014 MS seems to be too tight. If I lower the window even a couple inches and then click to close it, it will instantly move to fully open instead, which suggests that the anti pinch function is activated instead. After the window is fully open, THEN it can be closed but goes up very slowly. The short moves when opening the door seem to function normally.

Is there an adjustment to the track / tightness that anyone is aware of? I'd rather not bring it to the service center for this, b/c they already charged me $400 for a "window regulator" on the passenger side, when that window WORKED PERFECTLY but the car would constantly send me notifications that the window was open (when it wasn't) and I just learned that perhaps there was an electronic adjustment that could have been made instead. So I have trust issues with them.

There are window rail adjustment under each door. You will see two rubber grommets (photo attached) lower side of the inside of door, behind is a nut (10mm) which will allow the tilt of the window glass. You should mark the initial placement by marker so you know how to adjust. You need two people to get it done.

505A5470-3DEB-4B3B-9E6C-28E4FA107029.jpeg
7BBF7801-C064-40E5-9A31-BAC57D34A0B7.jpeg
838B8ED4-D0B6-49C9-B86D-81EE03AAD5A9.jpeg

Porque two people? My Model 3 develops whistling from window trim near B pillar upper corner, worsened by pushing finger against the glass and also more prominent in cold weather, thinking about experimenting on it.

Definitely didn't have two people to fix mine. I took it to an Electrified Garage location and got a bit of an assist - where we discovered the cable had come out of the pulley on the top rear corner and had just about sawn completely through the center bolt. I was able to purchase the complete window regulator / motor (what a waste of money to not sell it in pieces!) and replaced it myself in my driveway.

I pre-positioned the rails with the bolts just "snug" and adjusted the fit (it didn't take much) to satisfy me that it would be right - then did the calibration after everything was closed back up. Been working fine ever since.

Porque two people?
Releasing the nuts will let the window to “fall out” it’s position, so to get the adjustment in right direction you will need second pair of hands. That second pair of hands can control to which side your adjustment will be going… By design the glass will move invards but you want to know how much.

Last edited:
Releasing the nuts will let the window to “fall out” it’s position, so to get the adjustment in right direction you will need second pair of hands. That second pair of hands can control to which side your adjustment will be going… By design the glass will move invards but you want to know how much.
Thank you, sounds like a job for the service center.

There are window rail adjustment under each door. You will see two rubber grommets (photo attached) lower side of the inside of door, behind is a nut (10mm) which will allow the tilt of the window glass. You should mark the initial placement by marker so you know how to adjust. You need two people to get it done.

View attachment 820845View attachment 820846View attachment 820848
Do you happen to know if those are the right bolts to adjust the window towards the front of the vehicle? Or does it only affect the tilt towards and away the top of the door?