Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Trim Discoloration fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is that the oily residue and dirt will come right back sooner or later. The issue is defective anodized and/or coated trim. Yeah, you can wipe the grime off with your fingers, but it will return. The andozization and/or coating that's defective is what prevents road grime and oil from adhering to the trim and causing the issue. It's when the coating is too thin and has worn off that one gets the issue. Per my posts, this was a known issue for certain batches of trim. I forced Tesla to admit that my vehicle was one of them and they replaced all my trim for free with new parts. Issue hasn't returned since then. After all the other tricks people claim work on this thread, it always came back.

If it hasn't come back after a few days or weeks of driving after they just used Windex, then there's no way you had the same issue as this thread. Sounds like just had dirty trim. The issue is there's defective/thin anodization and/or coating for certain vehicle batches and the only permanent fix is to get them to replace the trim. Read the entire thread, particularly my posts.

If it hasn't come back after a few days or weeks of driving after what you describe doing, then there's no way you had the same issue as this thread (or maybe the coating is patchy in your case...it will continue to get worse, though. The issue is there's defective/thin anodization and/or coating for certain vehicle batches and the only permanent fix is to get them to replace the trim. Read the entire thread, particularly my posts.

It's not plastic. It's very thin anodized and/or coated aluminum. The fix is getting Tesla to replace the defectively andozied/coated trim. Per my posts, this is a known issue with certain batches/dates of vehicles. They replaced all mine for free. Issue hasn't returned.

If it hasn't come back after a few days or weeks of driving after just using WD40, then you either don't have the same issue as this thread...or *maybe* WD40 somehow lasts longer at preventing road grime and oil buildup. Eventually, the issue will return. Again, the issue is there's defective/thin anodization and/or coating for certain vehicle batches and the only permanent fix is to get them to replace the trim. Read the entire thread, particularly my posts.
I honestly didn't know that, I've grown accustomed to "it's a Tesla, get used to it" that I didn't even consider there being a fix.