Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window trim issues!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my car washer there, at a normal foam car wash place.

I've noticed my window trims now look weird! Can't say for sure if it was lie this before the wash or not. But that's not right is it? Warranty issue?

Anyone else have this issue. M3P face-lift

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_132408.jpg
    IMG_20210702_132408.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20210702_132351.jpg
    IMG_20210702_132351.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20210702_132317.jpg
    IMG_20210702_132317.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20210702_132303.jpg
    IMG_20210702_132303.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Helpful
Reactions: Peter 224
Looks like they've got/had something oil like on them.

No, defo shouldn't look like that, whether it's a warranty thing, or not will depend on whether they've been cleaned/treated post collection.

Could try a little IPA on a none obvious bit, and see if it returns that bit to black (having removed the oil).

Reactions: gdallas
What did you wash it with?

Edit - I see at a 'car wash place' so who knows what is going to be in that spray. It'll be some kind of sealant to give the car more shine that's not suitable for this finish.

I would wash it off, yucky stuff. Your 'silicon spray' probably shifted it.

It's basically a film from the chemicals they use. No idea if leaving it on there for a while would cause lasting damage.. I imagine it's possible, particularly in direct sunlight.

It's been reported a few times on here and elsewhere.

Reactions: gdallas
I've got a few spots on my trim above the windows very similar. Not been washed yet since collection but think it may have been left on residue from the Autoglym Fast Glass I used on the windows the other day. Just used some Carplan Black Trim Wax stuff and that has helped. Will try silicon sealant if it comes back.

I've got a few spots on my trim above the windows very similar. Not been washed yet since collection but think it may have been left on residue from the Autoglym Fast Glass I used on the windows the other day. Just used some Carplan Black Trim Wax stuff and that has helped. Will try silicon sealant if it comes back.
Don't use silicon sealant mate, you'll regret that move! 😂😂 Silicon spray.

I did use fast glass this week, but on the inside only so I don't think mine is caused by that.

Reactions: Adopado
Just had my car washer there, at a normal foam car wash place.

I've noticed my window trims now look weird! Can't say for sure if it was lie this before the wash or not. But that's not right is it? Warranty issue?

Anyone else have this issue. M3P face-lift
Looks as though the car wash people have something in their chemicals that the black trim doesn't like.
Easily sorted, but I think I'd avoid that particular place in the future.

I have this issue after washing it myself with snow foam and then a shampoo. What spray did you use to fix it?

I used this one. The car wash did a per wash snowfoam which seemed to be on for ages while they finished the car in front. I bet thats what it was.

I wouldn’t be surprised if standard WD40 works too. It’s pretty safe to use on bodywork.
I'm sure I read that in another thread. Normal WD seems to be the go-to product. Incidentally if you do want the silicon stuff, then Screwfix is about half the price of the amazon listing:

Reactions: Adopado
I'm sure I read that in another thread. Normal WD seems to be the go-to product. Incidentally if you do want the silicon stuff, then Screwfix is about half the price of the amazon listing:

WD40 is amazing for removing tar spots FYI. The solvent in it does an excellent job a lot of pros use it. Some claim, without evidence, that its bad for the paint. but its fine and better than using elbow grease I would think and much more effective.

Reactions: init6