Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Trim Stained?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The window trim on my Model Y has been stained for a while now. I never noticed this when I picked it up in January of this year, so this must've happened sometime during the time I've owned it. I've taken it through an automatic carwash a few times (touchless of course) whenever I've felt lazy or the weather wasn't right to wash it myself. I also had the entire car covered with PPF. These are the only two instances where I would think it could get stained - chemicals in the carwash soap or whatever solution they used to apply the PPF. I've tried scrubbing with rubbing alcohol, but there is no change! Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
2CDC9437-5027-4211-AB4C-53C42B025475.jpeg
82C861C5-DD42-4B98-98D0-9575AD20D124.jpeg
5080142E-53B2-4A03-92FA-193026DE4976.jpeg

Very common issue and it made me sad every time I looked at my car (I own a 2021 model y). I read on another forum that someone used turtle wax to clean it. I just tried it and it cleaned it right up. Applied the wax and used a microfiber towel to wipe it off.

Turtle Wax T-241A Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover - 10.5 oz. , White​

I applied two coats of "Avalon King" DIY ceramic to my MYP when I got it on 3/5/22. I run my car through the car wash at least once a week. So far zero issues with trim discoloration.
Is it possible that Tesla may have fixed this trim issue with 2022 Y? I recently saw a youtube video where the 2022 Y owner took it to a car wash and didn't experience the famous soap stain issue on the trim. Can someone confirm?

Is it possible that Tesla may have fixed this trim issue with 2022 Y? I recently saw a youtube video where the 2022 Y owner took it to a car wash and didn't experience the famous soap stain issue on the trim. Can someone confirm

Is it possible that Tesla may have fixed this trim issue with 2022 Y? I recently saw a youtube video where the 2022 Y owner took it to a car wash and didn't experience the famous soap stain issue on the trim. Can someone confirm?
Not sure about any changes. I'm chalking my lack of any staining up to the protection of the ceramic coating!

They definitely did not fix this issue! I have a Model Y that’s only a month old. I took it through a touchless car wash this week and my chrome delete is all stained.

Even my family members have been asking what happened to my car. This is so annoying. I actually thought I made a good choice by going out of my way to use a touch less car wash, but the stains left have defeated the purpose. This never happened with my M3 and I put that one through a number car wash that beat up the panels lol.

Reactions: Bruce2020
I've unfortunately experienced the same discoloration with my 2022 Model Y. I first took it through a touchless car wash, and after reading all of the threads and trying a few things...ended up restoring it with Zep stainless steel cleaner. I then bought a crap load of hand wash supplies from Chemical Guys, and had the same result with the Honeydew Snow Foam shampoo. I've tried Meguiars Ultimate Compound restorer, Mothers Back-to-Black and WD-40 as well...but nothing has worked as well as Zep to restore it. Gonna try washing with Shift soap from Shine Supply which is supposedly pH neutral and cross my fingers...good luck

I used some old WD-40 and it worked perfectly on restoring the the chrome delete stained area. I don't know if I will return to that touchless car wash, they are using some strong chemicals there! Does anyone know if ceramic coating on the exterior would help?

I've unfortunately experienced the same discoloration with my 2022 Model Y. I first took it through a touchless car wash, and after reading all of the threads and trying a few things...ended up restoring it with Zep stainless steel cleaner. I then bought a crap load of hand wash supplies from Chemical Guys, and had the same result with the Honeydew Snow Foam shampoo. I've tried Meguiars Ultimate Compound restorer, Mothers Back-to-Black and WD-40 as well...but nothing has worked as well as Zep to restore it. Gonna try washing with Shift soap from Shine Supply which is supposedly pH neutral and cross my fingers...good luck

I use Sun Joe's pressure car wash soap without issues. Good to know that Chemical Guys' soap has the same issue. I was thinking about getting the Chemical Guys's soap but I I am going to stick with Sun Joe for now.

Very common issue and it made me sad every time I looked at my car (I own a 2021 model y). I read on another forum that someone used turtle wax to clean it. I just tried it and it cleaned it right up. Applied the wax and used a microfiber towel to wipe it off.

Turtle Wax T-241A Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover - 10.5 oz. , White​

I use plain old WD-40. Works great. It's from the chemicals in the touchless automatic wash.

I applied two coats of "Avalon King" DIY ceramic to my MYP when I got it on 3/5/22. I run my car through the car wash at least once a week. So far zero issues with trim discoloration.

I'd like to know how long any of these fixes lasted. The film comes right back on my 2020 Model Y after I clean it off. Looks like the trim is decomposing or outgassing to me, much like cheap chinese recycled plastic and rubber products often do, especially when exposed to the sun over time.

Guys? How long until the film came back?

I'd like to know how long any of these fixes lasted. The film comes right back on my 2020 Model Y after I clean it off. Looks like the trim is decomposing or outgassing to me, much like cheap chinese recycled plastic and rubber products often do, especially when exposed to the sun over time.

Guys? How long until the film came back?
No film has ever appeared. I use a drive through (not brushless) car wash weekly for the past 5 months with no issues. The Avalon King ceramic is holding up great.