Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window up and down while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: This thread is a merge of two different threads started in two different forums.

I have a 2022 Model 3. For a few weeks now, I have an odd behavior. Driver's window is down. I click the button to close it. The window goes all the way up, and then it goes back down a few inches. It's as if the window senses resistance or a minor obstruction and backs away from full closure. If, however, I advance the window up a few inches at a time with repeated short uses of the window button, the window goes up, seals, and stays up. This is intermittant. Sometimes I have no problem rolling up the window fully from open position with a single window button use, sometimes I have to inch the window up a little at a time to get it to stay up.

Anyone had this behavior? I have found nothing in these forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jane4
Try calibrating the windows. Here are the instructions from the manual:

Calibrating Windows​

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.
To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

I have a 2022 Model 3. For a few weeks now, I have an odd behavior. both front windows is down automatically. I click the button to close it. The window goes all the way up, and then it goes back down a very few. It's as if the window senses resistance or a minor obstruction and backs away from full closure. If, however, I advance the window up a few inches at a time with repeated short uses of the window button, the window goes up, seals, and stays up. I had the car serviced several times. and changed the trim and re-collaborated and more. however, the problem still exiting. Yesterday I sent for service again, I was told this is not covered by Tesla Warrant. its in acceptable when we bought the car under the warranty.
is it true?
has it happened to anyone else and it's not fixable and not covered by Tesla?

I haven't had that happen on my M3 but it does happen on a Volvo we own. I was told that it happens because of a bad sensor that is
supposed to stop the window in case your dog, or your kid's head, or whatever is sticking out the window. And, just like yours, if I inch the window up I can get it to close completely, My Volvo is 15 years old and I rarely use it so I've learned to live with it, but your's should be fixed under warranty.

I haven't had that happen on my M3 but it does happen on a Volvo we own. I was told that it happens because of a bad sensor that is
supposed to stop the window in case your dog, or your kid's head, or whatever is sticking out the window. And, just like yours, if I inch the window up I can get it to close completely, My Volvo is 15 years old and I rarely use it so I've learned to live with it, but your's should be fixed under warranty.
thanks for your reply, really appreciated

I have a 2022 Model 3. For a few weeks now, I have an odd behavior. both front windows is down automatically. I click the button to close it. The window goes all the way up, and then it goes back down a very few. It's as if the window senses resistance or a minor obstruction and backs away from full closure. If, however, I advance the window up a few inches at a time with repeated short uses of the window button, the window goes up, seals, and stays up. I had the car serviced several times. and changed the trim and re-collaborated and more. however, the problem still exiting. Yesterday I sent for service again, I was told this is not covered by Tesla Warrant. its in acceptable when we bought the car under the warranty.
is it true?
Have you tried the window calibration (make sure to follow steps exactly)?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

You should check if there is anything in the seals also that may be obstructing the window from closing.

If your car is still under warranty, it should be covered if you can demonstrate it to the SC. You can appeal to store manager, or if you have different SC nearby, it may be easier to try to get it fixed at a different SC if the first one was unable to fix it.

is it true?

Do you have a model 3 or a model Y? You started two separate threads on this exact topic, one in the model 3 subforum and stating its a model 3, and one in the site feedback subform, stating its a model Y (different year).

Have you tried the window calibration (make sure to follow steps exactly)?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

You should check if there is anything in the seals also that may be obstructing the window from closing.

If your car is still under warranty, it should be covered if you can demonstrate it to the SC. You can appeal to store manager, or if you have different SC nearby, it may be easier to try to get it fixed at a different SC if the first one was unable to fix it.
thanks, its only 2 months old

is it true?
It is most likely either calibration or a bad sensor. As long as you can reproduce the issue (intermittent problems are just hard to demonstrate) and it is not working as it should, it should definitely be covered under warranty.