Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window washer fluid low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 months old, 2500 miles or there abouts and I've filled mine up much, much more than I have with any other car I have ever owned. I've even checked underneath for leaks. I'm lucky if I can get 3 weeks without having to fill up.

Takes 2 liters from warning to brim.
That was useful thanks, well I have only just filled up once and not used much since. Will also come back with a data point soon

Filled mine twice in 8 months (8,000 miles) and I use it every day as I like to have a clean windscreen! There doesn't seem to be an excess of liquid used per press and it all gets to the wiper blades without too much wastage. :)

I use Prestone from Screwfix as it's a good quality screen wash.

Or cheaper still Prestone Max Visibility Ready To Use Screenwash 5L | Toolstation

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Oh is that what it is for. Does that mean on a snowy day all it does is warm up the bottom blade area. Surely if you use the wiper on ice the rubber will get damaged
That option is to prevent the blades from sticking to the screen. Normal heated windscreen will also defrost that area, but not as quickly.

More here:

Oh is that what it is for. Does that mean on a snowy day all it does is warm up the bottom blade area. Surely if you use the wiper on ice the rubber will get damaged
Agreed, and given you have the ability to pre-heat the vehicle and deice the screen before you even get in I'm not sure how valuable the feature is - I'd certainly prefer heated washer jets.

Agreed, and given you have the ability to pre-heat the vehicle and deice the screen before you even get in I'm not sure how valuable the feature is - I'd certainly prefer heated washer jets.
I don’t recall having any issues with frozen washers. Maybe it’s because the car doesn’t use fine jets spraying up to the screen but rather dribbles the fluid directly from the wiper. Anyway, whatever the reason they’re fine so long as you use an appropriate concentration of winter washer fluid. Of course preheating the car is a huge benefit.

I refilled mine once in two years mainly because we don't have many bugs flying around in California. The dry weather keeps the succulent greenery at a minimum, so there's less for them to eat compared to Missouri where I lived before. I prefer to use a spray bottle (plain water, actually) and a diaper (super absorbent) and have the window clean before I leave the house, rather than try to clean it, as an afterthought, while I'm driving. But I do use the wipers once in a while. I also don't drive mornings and evenings much, when the bugs are out in force. I bought a jug of windshield cleaner when I bought the car, and half of it is still sitting on the garage floor next to my car.

Does the washer fluid trickle into the drivers car door? I noticed it does fromtime to time. Flaw in model3 design?
Like this?

Because driving past my wife in the morning Lord Snooty style is high handed.
I did think it would be something like that :)

istockphoto-517047087-612x612.jpg

Also, air con uses kilowatts and fresh air doesn’t.
I would have thought the increased drag would negate any CC savings though.

Reactions: yessuz and candida