Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window washer fluid low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never topped up the washer bottle since the car was new in March 2020.
Today I got the washer fluid low message.
I guess I should top it up in time for it’s first MOT 😂
Sounds daft but how?!?

I fill my washer bottle every month in winter due to crap on the roads - needed to scoosh the windscreen at least 4 times on the way to work today (1 hour drive primarily motorway). Now you can't turn off the damn wipers on AP I need to clean the windscreen more as crud gets scraped all over my windscreen for no reason!

Sounds daft but how?!?

I fill my washer bottle every month in winter due to crap on the roads - needed to scoosh the windscreen at least 4 times on the way to work today (1 hour drive primarily motorway). Now you can't turn off the damn wipers on AP I need to clean the windscreen more as crud gets scraped all over my windscreen for no reason!
I had my old car for 3 years and never needed to top up the washer fluid. That's what regular service center visits for issues achieves :)

I've had to refill the new one already, I assume that somehow Tesla Vision means it comes with just a dribble in the bottle. Damn you Tesla Vision.

Does anybody know how much liquid I can pour in when the low indication comes on?

The reason of my question is that I use concentrated anti-freeze washer fluid, which I have to dilute with water. If I knew exactly how much will fit, I could do the mixing conveniently in the car's washer tank.

Does anybody know how much liquid I can pour in when the low indication comes on?

The reason of my question is that I use concentrated anti-freeze washer fluid, which I have to dilute with water. If I knew exactly how much will fit, I could do the mixing conveniently in the car's washer tank.
Took about half of my 5l Prestone, so I would say about 2.5l.

I would suggest caution with diluting stuff, as there isn't a smelly motor producing heat you typically need far more anti-freezy anti-freeze than you may be used to. I use the stuff rated to -18, in Buckinghamshire, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna

Its easy to work out. Just measure the amount of water you have to put in to top it back up again.
Personally I'd mix out of the car. If you spill any of the neat stuff then it can make a mess and at least you'll know its been mixed properly.

Manual says 4.5l for my model/type

To top up the washer fluid:

1. Open the hood.
  2. Clean around the filler cap before opening it to prevent dirt from entering the reservoir.
  3. Open the filler cap.
  4. While avoiding spilling, fill the reservoir until the fluid level is visible just below the filler neck. The reservoir has a capacity of 4.5 liters.
I made the mistake last week of just using concentrated, now my screen is almost totally smeared! I need to use some up and get some water in to dilute it a bit 😁

I made the mistake last week of just using concentrated, now my screen is almost totally smeared! I need to use some up and get some water in to dilute it a bit 😁
I can beat that.

Long drive back from the south coast last weekend - heavy fog, lots of residual salt on the road, so windscreen getting obscured quite regularly. Started getting the low washer fluid warning and having never had it before I didn't know how far in advance of running out that warning comes up. We had to stop at a supermarket anyway so while my wife was inside I topped the washer fluid up with water from our drinks bottles to see us home.. 50% from mine, 50% from the wife's (I imagine you see where this is going at this point).

When she got back in I told her I'd used half her water for her to inform me that this was the 1% of occasions where she'd had blackcurrant squash in her bottle rather than water 😭. Lovely, sticky squash in a pink tinted bottle in the dark so it wasn't visible. Any other day we'd both of just had water so it didn't even occur to me to taste it.

Spent my lunch break the next day flushing it through with plenty of water and refilling it with screen wash. Fortunately it doesn't seem to have had any lasting effect!