Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window/windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on getting the front 2 windows tinted, local shop uses XPEL which I heard is good. Anyone has/have their windshield tinted? Worth it? I worry I will see the “rainbow” effect with my polarized sunglasses (Oakley) if I tint the windshield

I think people say if you tint the windshield don't use polarized sunglasses unless you like rainbows :( as for the sides it's not as big a deal as you usually only look out them a second or two to change lanes. I was originally going to only get the front two done but decide the get all the rears too in order to get the heat rejection properties from the tint

Just got my front windows and windshield done with Crystalline. No rainbows with polarized sunglasses. At night, I get a little bit of starburst from lights, but not bad.

Hmm I heard tint causes rainbows.. maybe the old metallic ones did? I know my screen protector that I put on does and pretty sure there is no metal in it.. but that's good you don't have an issue.

Reactions: KingPaul
Planning on getting the front 2 windows tinted, local shop uses XPEL which I heard is good. Anyone has/have their windshield tinted? Worth it? I worry I will see the “rainbow” effect with my polarized sunglasses (Oakley) if I tint the windshield
I wear polarized glasses though not Oakley. I’ve tinted my last two windshields and driven a couple other vehicles with tinted windshields and never noticed any rainbows. The only thing I didn’t like about tinting my front windows was then the auto dimming side mirrors are too dark. I love my windshield tint, though I wouldn’t go any darker than 60%.

So I found this old thread, again I have no clue on which is better. https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/stratos-vs-photosync-tints.12288/

I
’ve read a lot about Xpel as a brand and generally positive reviews/remarks

bigger question is what percentage do I go with? 20%? 30%? 35%? I’m in MD and the VLT has to be 35% or higher

I wanna do 20% but don’t want to get pulled over and have to remove the tint cause it’s “illegal”

Any idea of the price range between the various possible options?

Also what would be cost just for the windshield? Or just the side windows? or just the two roof windows?

Not sure how much the windshield costs but I think the sides and rear is 4-500.. I am getting both PPF and Tint so not sure exactly though. I know about 6-8 years ago it cost me about 250-300 to do tint on my car, so this seems pretty good for what I am sure is a better tint.

I love my Photosync but I wish they offered darker than 30% for privacy, and had more than one shop for all of LA, Orange, and Ventura counties. My previous car wasn’t dark enough during the day, but too dark at night. Since Photosync, I never give my tint a second thought because visibility always feels just right for the conditions. Having said that, my 3 is always parked outside so it still gets hot parked in the SoCal sun.

Let's see...All photosync here and not going to use anything else after feeling the difference:

2013 MS P85
2014 MS P90D
2016 MX P90D(Tesla bought it back because of sh*tty Falcon wing probs)
2017 MX P100D
2019 M3
2020 MY soon

I have Huper on my older cars and though it did the job, it is nowhere near the performance of photosync. They have a dealer locator here, but because it is a high end tint, you won't get as many installer options:

Dealer Locator | Prestige

I was originally going to only get the front two done but decide the get all the rears too in order to get the heat rejection properties from the tint

I am thinking of doing the same. A couple questions for you:
  • What film and % did you use on the rears? I don’t want to make it much darker.
  • What film and % did you use on the front and windshield? How is the visibility at night?
  • Did you tint the roof?