Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window wipers breaking off in Norway..Known weakness, apparently fix available...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh , then its all good , no problems , fantastic car, let's sit down , sing Kumbaya, and be happy :)

I posted in other threads saying we all shouldn't just be Tesla cheerleaders so you have me pegged wrong.

Maybe you can see that there's some middle ground between your first post saying "this car is an beta version made for desert conditions.." and your post above (which I know is sarcasm)? Perhaps next time start with what are your legitimate questions and concerns rather than statements that read like the sky is falling. Just sayin'... as my kids tell me.

Please, mods, don't banish me to the snippy pile again, I tried to reply nicely... ;)

Details: This was caused by dissimilar metal (galvanic) corrosion, caused by salt water bridging the gap between the magnesium carrier and the steel bolt. Tesla had done a thorough salt test, but Ottawa roads are a far more severe test! They use gobs of salt here.

Solution: Simply putting in a larger washer, to provide greater isolation between the parts. Also Tesla has changed the bolt spec, but the main fix was the bigger washer.

Conclusion: Problem resolved. Cars already shipped were fixed via service bulletin. Newer cars are built with the fix.

I actually forgot to check my car after Doug_G's original report, but did notice that this repair was done without my even having to ask at my last service visit.

Details: This was caused by dissimilar metal (galvanic) corrosion, caused by salt water bridging the gap between the magnesium carrier and the steel bolt. Tesla had done a thorough salt test, but Ottawa roads are a far more severe test! They use gobs of salt here.

Solution: Simply putting in a larger washer, to provide greater isolation between the parts. Also Tesla has changed the bolt spec, but the main fix was the bigger washer.

Conclusion: Problem resolved. Cars already shipped were fixed via service bulletin. Newer cars are built with the fix.

Not sure whether the similar wiper arm failure I had was related to the same issue, but definitely not salt corrosion related in Florida.

Scary not great PR, BUT extraordinary service

The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer

Newbie, you seem to be spending an awful lot of time and energy here attempting to find reasons to reject the Model S, despite not having one (yet). Are you looking for an excuse to not get it?

Otherwise, have faith in Tesla. While they often suffer from growing pains and initial startup troubles, they really do get it right eventually. And the end results are always far better than any other car company. Keep the faith, hang in there until your car arrives, and know that your fellow Norwegian early adopters are paving the way to make things smoother for the day your car comes.

Newbie, you seem to be spending an awful lot of time and energy here attempting to find reasons to reject the Model S, despite not having one (yet). Are you looking for an excuse to not get it?

Otherwise, have faith in Tesla. While they often suffer from growing pains and initial startup troubles, they really do get it right eventually. And the end results are always far better than any other car company. Keep the faith, hang in there until your car arrives, and know that your fellow Norwegian early adopters are paving the way to make things smoother for the day your car comes.

I have faith in Tesla but i dont tolerante when they dont take problems seriously from the beginning and instead haul out the time.. Looks like they have waken up now. In Norway anyway.. But I don't want to spend time bringing a new car to the mechanic frequently , I don't have time for that..

I have faith in Tesla but i dont tolerante when they dont take problems seriously from the beginning and instead haul out the time.. Looks like they have waken up now. In Norway anyway.. But I don't want to spend time bringing a new car to the mechanic frequently , I don't have time for that..

I don't see why you imply they don't take this seriously.
They resolved it prior to your original post.

As for time to take the car in to be fixed, you are stuck in the old way of thinking.
Even if your future Model S did need service, they will come to you to pick up the car, leave you with another, fix the car and bring it back to you. Your time needed? About two minutes to sign the paperwork.

And yet you have enough time to post the same thing repeatedly on this forum...

sorry. that was my out loud voice, again.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why you imply they don't take this seriously.
They resolved it prior to your original post.

Which leads back to my original question of 'motivation' for the repeated posting.

Don't get one then or wait until Tesla has an additional winter or two under their belt in Norway. If you are this unhappy before you even get the car that should raise a red flag or two. Any car can have problems as sated above it is how the company reacts that matters. You don't think Tesla takes things seriously so not the car for you until they change your mind.

All cars have issues, let me tell you about my newish BMW 3 series. As for Tesla, they hit it out of the park for a 1st generation model. And when things aren't perfect, they go above and beyond other car companies/dealers that, oh yeah, "protect us" by their outdated methodology of car purchase and "service."

Spend some hours on the forum and you'll see. I also don't own a Tesla...yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Newbie: PLEASE don't buy a Tesla.
Or a Volvo.
Or a BMW.
Or a Mercedes.
Or an Audi.
Or a VW.
Or a Toyota.
Or a Nissan.

Maybe a Yugo???????

Ha! Yugo, remember those things? I think they were $3999 and that's about the # of miles you got before they had to be replaced

All cars have issues, let me tell you about my newish BMW 3 series. As for Tesla, they hit it out of the park for a 1st generation model. And when things aren't perfect, they go above and beyond other car companies/dealers that, oh yeah, "protect us" by their outdated methodology of car purchase and "service."

Spend some hours on the forum and you'll see. I also don't own a Tesla...yet.

Yeah , I hope so, I think the car is very good in other ways! And I think Elon Musk is an visionary ,but have my concerns about some unfinished matters. I want a product that works well and that don't cause a lot of extra time getting fixed..

As for all you other seemingly fragile and easily offended souls that have commented about me pointing out weaknesses and reporting about problems a lot of foreign tesla s owners experience ... Get a life please, keep the bullying and harassing to yourself... You know the saying that " how you label others says more about you than the one you label" , gosh I now labeled you... But still if you still feel frustrated on me pointing to problems occurring under harsh conditions as in Norway .. Please , don't read my posts..

It seems you guys fight wars all the time without ever really knowing why...
It's time to cut down on the testosterone and start cuddling .... :)

Last edited:
As for all you other seemingly fragile and easily offended souls that have commented about me pointing out weaknesses and reporting about problems a lot of foreign tesla s owners experience ... Get a life please, keep the bullying and harassing to yourself... You know the saying that " how you label others says more about you than the one you label" , gosh I now labeled you...

You've reported a few posts yourself (and multiple times) so let's not suddenly get all coy. Poking others and then telling them to calm down and not get excited is wearing thin.....