Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows and trunk randomly open on their own while I’m away from my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windows randomly open when I’m parked and away. My front window screen was stolen from my car the first time. Mostly this happens while the car is in the garage but occasionally not.

And my trunk also just opened on its own while the car was at a supercharger- we discovered it when we returned. Luckily nothing was stolen.

We weren’t using the app and our phones were locked at all the times these happened.

Suggestions?

The windows randomly open when I’m parked and away. My front window screen was stolen from my car the first time. Mostly this happens while the car is in the garage but occasionally not.

And my trunk also just opened on its own while the car was at a supercharger- we discovered it when we returned. Luckily nothing was stolen.

We weren’t using the app and our phones were locked at all the times these happened.

Suggestions?
The same thing happened to us last night ,the trunk randomly opened and hit the garage door, my dog mode was also on,on which I never use and my window was rolled down. Today when I got back to my car from the store my driver window was rolled down 3 inches and it was pouring rain . I used to get the question that asks are " you sure you want to open "but I don't get that any more and don't know how to enable it. Let me know if

Upvote 0
The same thing has happened to us. Once yesterday (when it was raining) and again today. First the front passenger's window then today the rear passenger's window. I'll try the window calibration procedure and see whether this fixes the issue:
  • The door needs to be closed
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window down button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
It's been nearly a month now and we've not had it happen again after recalibrating the windows. It doesn't explain others' rear hatch opening though.

Upvote 0
wow...was about to post a new thread but im glad im not going crazy and this is happening to others.

I park my car in the city...go outside this morning and find my rear hatch wide open on a busy city street with stuff in my trunk...was like WTF!

App showed car locked but showed rear hatch open. I go inside and see sentry mode was activated and recorded the event right as it opened (which is weird). There were no people or anything around the car that could have triggered this. Didn't access the app, and account is secured with 2FA.

Have no idea how no one robbed me, or how this happened.

Upvote 0
wow...was about to post a new thread but im glad im not going crazy and this is happening to others.

I park my car in the city...go outside this morning and find my rear hatch wide open on a busy city street with stuff in my trunk...was like WTF!

App showed car locked but showed rear hatch open. I go inside and see sentry mode was activated and recorded the event right as it opened (which is weird). There were no people or anything around the car that could have triggered this. Didn't access the app, and account is secured with 2FA.

Have no idea how no one robbed me, or how this happened.
It could be due to rodent damage to the wiring.

Upvote 0
2 months old Model X Plaid, since today morning it started to open trunk randomly. It did today already 10+ times and the lift gate physical button is not working either. It would be a ~400 miles trip (eastern Europe) for me to go to a SC and wondering if there is an easy way to at least close out different problems and try to solve myself at home. Any suggestion what to try out? In the Service menu I can't see "door calibration" option as suggested in tesla manual.

Upvote 0
2 months old Model X Plaid, since today morning it started to open trunk randomly. It did today already 10+ times and the lift gate physical button is not working either. It would be a ~400 miles trip (eastern Europe) for me to go to a SC and wondering if there is an easy way to at least close out different problems and try to solve myself at home. Any suggestion what to try out? In the Service menu I can't see "door calibration" option as suggested in tesla manual.
Have you tried to reset the computer; press and hold the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. (Not sure if the yoke steering wheel has scroll wheel buttons.)

Also, you posted in the Model Y part of TMC.

Upvote 0
Have you tried to reset the computer; press and hold the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. (Not sure if the yoke steering wheel has scroll wheel buttons.)

Also, you posted in the Model Y part of TMC.
Oops, sorry for wrong place. This was the only relevant thread I found. Will try to find the right one.
I did try the reboot from the screen which (based on the tesla docs) is the same as your method.

Upvote 0
Curious if anyone has had this issue resolved. I took my MY in for service because the trunk wasn’t opening, but after I got it back, the trunk started having problems closing (it won’t lock now and remains slightly ajar until forcefully pushed closed). HOWEVER, my trunk is now randomly opening! It opened in the middle of the night in my garage and got damaged scraping the metal hinge joint in the middle of my closed garage door.

Tesla is telling me the damage isn’t covered under warranty, but this is clearly their fault.

I don’t feel I can drive the vehicle anywhere at this point for fear of weather damage, theft, etc.

Honestly, it’s just ridiculous Tesla has this problem, and I’ve seen threads on other forums where trunks have randomly opened while driving, too. No other car company would reach out to a customer to tell them that the problem their software caused wasn’t covered under warranty - they’d do the right thing and fix it. I couldn’t despise this company more right now (adding insult to injury, it’s a 5 hour round trip for me to get to the nearest service station).

Would really love to know if Tesla fixed this problem for others, because no resolution has been mentioned in other forums.

Upvote 0
I went in for service on this and gave Tesla the approximate time window when it occurred 2 weeks in advance of the appointment, but they said they'd really need a 10-minute window to pinpoint the occurrence because anything longer - even a 30 minute window - would be too difficult to assess because the vehicle apparently logs too many other events per hour. It's utterly ridiculous that they don't structure their event data to make a diagnosis like this far easier for service staff. Another Tesla fail.

Upvote 0