Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows and trunk randomly open on their own while I’m away from my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windows randomly open when I’m parked and away. My front window screen was stolen from my car the first time. Mostly this happens while the car is in the garage but occasionally not.

And my trunk also just opened on its own while the car was at a supercharger- we discovered it when we returned. Luckily nothing was stolen.

We weren’t using the app and our phones were locked at all the times these happened.

Suggestions?

I had this happen to me a couple of times in the two years I’ve owned my Y, but on all windows.

The last time was a week ago. I had parked my car at JFK airport for two weeks while I was on vacation. As usual, I close the Tesla app on my iPhone when I’m parking for an extended time to reduce phantom drain. I returned last Thursday in the middle of a rain storm. I found all four car windows down about 2” with water on the inside panels. It’s tough to say how long they were down but I know for sure the Tesla app was closed until I got to the car. And it’s Fall so the weather has been either cool or warm but not hot, so there shouldn’t be a reason for the car to auto vent.

Upvote 1
What version of the Tesla software is installed in your Model Y?

Have you tried calibrating the window actuators?

Reference: Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

What is a front window screen?

Upvote 0
Funny you should mention this. Mine started doing such weirdness just recently. It has only happened at home so far. I have it set to not auto lock at home and it locked itself. Then, the other day I noticed that the rear hatch was open parked in the garage while on the wall charger. Luckily, it was parked with enough clearance not to hit anything. I figured the most likely scenario was I somehow bumped the fob in my pocket and caused it myself but now I wonder... Unlikely that I inadvertently did a double tap on the fob. I don't have the phone app. Software version 2022.28.2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Probably not your issue, but I had one window doing this and it was due to water ingress into a harness, shorting the connection. The problem would occur with any moisture but not always immediately, it was seemingly random as the water worked its way into the connector. Took about 30 minutes to diagnose and fix. If you notice the exact times it occurs, send the times and details to the service folks to help them look through the logs.

Upvote 0
The windows randomly open when I’m parked and away. My front window screen was stolen from my car the first time. Mostly this happens while the car is in the garage but occasionally not.

And my trunk also just opened on its own while the car was at a supercharger- we discovered it when we returned. Luckily nothing was stolen.

We weren’t using the app and our phones were locked at all the times these happened.

Suggestions?
Is your MY new? This happened to us when we first got ours. So we had the service tech come out and he recalibrated the windows (or something like that). I think it took him just a few minutes. It's probably something we could have done ourselves, had we looked in the owner's manual.

Upvote 0
I tried this last night...don't know if it worked yet.

How to reset the window position.​

The fix is really easy, takes only a few minutes and requires no tools.

• Ensure the window is free from obstruction such as ice build ups near where the glass and rubber seals meet.
  • The door needs to be closed
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window down button and hold for 5 seconds.

Upvote 0
The same thing has happened to us. Once yesterday (when it was raining) and again today. First the front passenger's window then today the rear passenger's window. I'll try the window calibration procedure and see whether this fixes the issue:
  • The door needs to be closed
  • Press the window down button and hold for 5 seconds.

Upvote 0