Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windows don't raise all the way after shutting door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for about 1.5 months. Last night, I noticed one of the windows hadn't raised all the way. It was maybe 1-2 inches from the top. This is probably the 4th time I've actually caught this. I'm hearing impaired, so this issue may have actually happened more often than I caught it (because I can't usually hear the wind when a window is not fully shut).

If I open/close the door, the window shuts all the way. Therefore, duplicating this issue with a Service Center technician is probably incredibly unlikely. We rarely raise/lower the windows ourselves.

Anyone else aware of this issue, or how to deal with it? I'm particularly concerned with the rainy weather coming up. In the meantime, I guess I have to manually check all 4 door windows every time I exit the car, which is kind of a PITA.

You can try the auto window reset procedure:

With Windows up -
Push down on the two front switches so the Windows go all the way down.
Pull up on the switches till the windows close and hold it up for 10-15 seconds.

Hopefully that fixes it. if not, a video and pics then a trip to the SC.

the opposite is to reset them when they are fully open. Some of us had an 1/4"-1/2" inch window lip on some early M3 owners when our windows were all the way down. The reverse down procedure helped us reset them in the DOWN position.

Mine has done it on the rear windows two different times, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue. I did do the reset described above and a hard reboot of the MCU so not sure if one of those fixed it. I usually don't have rear passengers. The first time it was not caught because it was my young child and before daylight and it sat down 3-4" all day in the rain. Interior was quite wet... 2nd time we caught it right away thankfully because it was in a busy area with frequent break-in's. Service said they couldn't see any reason in the logs...

Last edited:
I'm really surprised this issue made it into the Model 3. I have had this issue on and off with my Model S for the past 4 years. It appears randomly and seems to fix itself just as randomly. I can't believe this bug got ported to the Model 3. I have never found a real fix for it as it happens so randomly.