TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windows/Doors won't open in cold weather

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by mrjedistud, Jan 12, 2017.

1. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

Hey guys. Anyone else experience this.

In freezing weather I couldn't open my doors. After playing around I realized its because the windows (which normally open slightly when you pull the handle) were not dropping down. This in turn caused the windows to get stuck on the chrome lip. I am assuming that either the cold or possibly ice froze up some of the window mechanics in the door itself. I tried preheating the car and it helped on one door, but the others were still stuck. Not a huge deal as the weather eventually warmed up and I usually drive solo, but was a bit annoying.

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

maybe a Model S: Interior & Exterior story?
    moderator could help move it

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I had this happen once or twice when it rained and my car was parked outside, the windows would freeze, and I'd have to either pull a little harder (the chrome is weak, so the window will go under it with a little force) or chisel my way out.

There was another thread, someone said they had it on another frameless window car too.

4. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

Yep, preheat and use a credit card to slide down between glass and door, this usually will clear the thin layer of ice and free the window.

• Like x 1